Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1975 Dodge Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:55 PM
homepup
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 Dodge Sportsman

Hello guys,

I have a 1975 Dodge Sportsman that is leaking gasoline into the Engine Oil. I got the fuel pump changed because mechanic said it could be a tore diaphragm, but it looks to still be leaking into the oil. Another possibility he said was the carburetor could be leaking the fuel through the mini fold? If not then it could be a piston ring. He also mentioned that the engine could have rod knock. Which I think could have been caused by a family member putting diesel instead of gas and running it for sometime before I got around to removing the oil from the tank. There is also some oil leakage under which could be the rear main seal. If the problem is not the carburetor I could need the engine rebuilt or get a new engine. Since its an old vehicle I'm not sure what to do. I need some advice. Thanks guys.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to get the oil and filter changed before running as you may have a potentially explosive situation brewing in the crankcase. Inspect the used oil for metallic particles from bearing wear. Install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see what you have with good oil.
Fuel leaking into the crankcase is normally associated with a fuel pump diaphragm or carburetor flooding. If it is the carb flooding then yes it will drain through the intake manifold and into the cylinders. From there it will find its way through the rings and into the crankcase.
Putting diesel fuel in this will require the tank and fuel lines drained and flushed, all filters replaced, and likely a carb rebuild. Hopefully you didn't hurt the new fuel pump.

Quick Reply: 1975 Dodge Sportsman