Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Ol Bessie is coming home after 23 years!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 AM
Sharps40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ol Bessie is coming home after 23 years!

I'll put this in here as a place holder and hopefully no only will it come home after 23 years but I'll be able to tell the story of bringing it back to life herein.

Dad called. We have been looking for a 37 Dodge to take the place of Ol John Lee the 65 Chevy Truck I had been driving.

Fortunatly he found the car. My/his/our car. His Dad bought it for him. I worked with him on it and road around in it all my life. It became mine at 20 years old and I drove it till a drunk hit me on the drivers side totaling it when I was 30.

I sold it.

Dad found it. Its been sitting in the hotrod shop in VA for 23 years waiting to be finished.

The owner knows we want it back. As is, or accident damage repaired and running/driving.

So for now Dad and the shop owner talked it over and Ol Bessie is "Back in the Que" for repairs.

Don't know what the costs will be or if I can even afford it but we'll start with trying to own it again and move out from there. With luck I can at least geti it home to the garage.....maybe more.

As it sits, and just before the wreck 23 years ago it had: New upholstery that I sewed myself from scratch, I had redone all the woodgrain finish on the metal trim, rebuilt the dash gauges, installed a new wiring harness, built a Ford 200 6 with weber carb, new radiator, TCI Streetfighter C4 Trans, new leaf springs and shackels, new front suspension and kingpins (wonder how many folks don't have a clue what kingpins are?), rebuilt the steering box and brake system, new glass, new rubber. It was a solid daily driver. For years with a flathead and three speed and all that work had under 1000 miles on it when the accident occured.

But, Dad said he wants the shop to work up the estimates on a running driving car with the accident damage fully repaired. We'll see......I am excited and guarded at the same time.

Last edited by Sharps40; 07-13-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Sharps40

From a close look at the photos, much of the body work and rust repair is already done. I confirmed my memory of installing a modern pressurized radiator for the new Ford L6. I can't tell if the rear axle is original or a Ford 9". I seem to remember having perches welded on a modern axle......All the suspension is like new. 23 years old, 2000 miles!
Email from Dad today:
"Rich: Soooo many things to consider, but they will all fall into line.
I met with Jim yesterday, and talked with two of the fellows who do the restoration work. They are working on a Corvette body now, getting it ready to remount to the frame. Jim says the Dodge can then be brought into the system for work. I told him that we would like to get it running, have all the rust and body repair work completed. The rust in floorboards and trunk have already been completed---by Billy, no longer works there. I took photos---can't see much---there are fenders etc on the top, the interior is filled, and boxes on the hood. Will be better able to assess things when Jim calls it into the shop. We did not discuss any prices---just that what you would like to have from him is a running car, nice would be painted and upholstered, but with the possibility that a fender or panel might have to be replaced, maybe just a primer job and do the final paint and upholstering at your end. We are getting closer to having some work done on the Dodge---can't put a hard date on it. I'll keep visiting and pleading to be next into the shop. Try and be patient---but I too can get a real good feeling about that one being back on the road. Takes me back to 1957...."

Last edited by Sharps40; 07-13-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Sharps40

Fast forward from April 15 to early May 15....

Dad is here. A visit. News. The Dodge is mine again. It was never not mine, since I was 16. I drove it daily till I was 30 when it was wrecked. I spent all my money on a lawyer chasing a drunk with nothing and nothing was left to fix it. I sold it. 23 years ago.

The day I sold it. 23 years ago. Dad bought it back. He and Jim kept it a secret. Working on it occasionally as time and manning and money permitted. Stored away in the hot rod shop. Waiting for 23 years. Till I wanted it back.

I almost bought one in Chicago last month. It was sold the day I arrived to look at it.

The title, in my name, never transferred has sat in secret in Dads lock box waiting.

For 35 years it has been my car and I didn't know it for the last 23.

Before that, since 1957, Dad was the second owner of the Ol Dodge.

Its coming home.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM
Sharps40

A good talk with the shop owner this morning. Our first contact in 20+ years. Quite a bit of laughing over the joke played. Follow up email to reestablish contact and get the evaluation processes rolling as we await the final movement of the ol Dodge from stuck in the corner to shop floor.....

"Mr. Walker,

Good to talk to you this morning. Contact information is listed below the signature. Quite a secret and glad to have it out of the bag!

Ideal desire is running/driving/done. Somewhere in between works too. Ultimate goal is a look like it was in the late 50s. Metallic blue (current metallic color or perhaps Cobra Midnight Blue Metallic), close to stock ride height but with modern agility on the road as an occasional town and highway driver.

As we discussed, if the budget demands less than Running/Driving/Done, priority starts with body work and paint + glass/rubber, with a nod toward doing much of the heavy lifting underneath to avoid paint damage/painted panel removal later.

If there is any question on the existing engine/trans don't bother to square and level/finalize the mounting as we can discuss new power train.

The old 4.10 dodge rear must go in favor of a modern rear. Any make is fine....would be convenient to match the make to the power train, i.e. Ford to Ford, Chevy to Chevy, etc.

Original suspension under it is 5000 miles since being rebuilt, however it's 25 odd years since it was greased or rolled. If smart, I am open to a modern suspension, but, would like to avoid the super low hot rod look.

Power disc/drum or disc/disc on a dual master cylinder are pretty much a mandatory safety item as well as lap belts (2 front, 2 or 3 rear).

Much more to it I am sure. I'll be sure to rely heavily on you and your craftsmen's knowledge and expertise.

Mark me more than a bit excited!

Standing by here. (Well, actually, jumping up and down waiving and shouting!)"

Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM
Sharps40

Fast forward to late May 15....

Dad was down at Classic Automotive again last night. He and Jim had another grand hoot and holler at my expense. Much additional talk about Ol Bessie and at least from an initial look....The projected budget for a running driving painted car (using the existing 200 Ford/C4) may be excessive.

They had a lot of talk about concerns for a zero mileage engine overhauled 20+ years ago, same for the trans. And, at this point, we all recognize that a 74 Maverick engine and trans is in fact an antique power pack. In addition, much discussion of the 78 year old suspension (5000 miles from rebuild and 20+ years growing stiff from lack of use) which lead to how little can the car be lowered by placing an independent front with rack/pinion and possible replacement power pack options.

In some follow up discussion with Dad this afternoon, it seems the Corvette is nearly ready for paint and could be moving off the floor in a couple weeks thus freeing up the 3 man team to tackle Ol Bessie.

For now, we are exploring the budget and whether it allows for a total driver quality do over with modern suspension (without getting ghetto low) and the possibility of a V6 or 8 cylinder and 4 speed overdrive automatic...........

WeeeOhhhhhh! Ol Bessie could come back not only pretty but strong too!

Old 07-13-2015, 07:36 AM
Sharps40

And bringing the story current starting with this email on the morning of 7 July 15

Emailed Dad and the Shop today. Copy below.....

"Dad, Mr. Walker,

As we move forward, get closer to pulling Ol Bessie out of the corner.....

And giving our tentative discussion of new suspension and power-pack......

Dream engine would be a Chrysler Hemi with auto trans.....Mid to Late 50s
Desoto Fire Dome 330 attached to a 727 Torque Flight or Ford C4 but I am
sure I can't afford it...

But, I wonder if it'd be possible to capture a modern/low mileage 5.7L Dodge
Hemi, auto trans, computer, harness and fly by wire throttle from a wrecked
RT or Ram truck at a price point comparable to say, a Good Wrench 350/4l60E?

Just food for thought."

And Then.....about 15 minutes after hitting send.....

Its decision time.

Mr. Walker just called.

Been waitin on this call for 2 months and 23 years!

Emptying the junk out of Ol Bessie today.

Tomorrow or Thursday its being pulled to the shop floor and the resurection commences.

We agreed to start on the underside and work up and out.

So, on deck is:

1. Total modern suspension and rear axle + Power brakes and the possibility of rack and pinion (and depending on the power pack, possibly power rack and pinion)

2. All accident damage repaired and then primer and possibly paint.

3. Engine/trans choices are limitless and include the current 200 L6 with C4, GM 350 or Vortec with 4L60E and depending on budget, one of the millions of 5.7L Mopar Hemi engines with automatic overdrive trans!

Meso excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Afternoon of 7 July 15

Looks we need to try to make this a V8. Dad called, he's on his way to the shop now. Told me a story.

Way back, early 60s.......engine was still a flat six, 30 over, 60 off head, offy 2bbl intake, twin Carter B&Bs and split manifold dual exhaust.....he drove the car from Hagerstown MD to Fort Knox, KY. Stuffed a small block Chevy V8 in the trunk, tied down the deck lid and drove it back to Hagerstown.

Seems, he always wanted it to be an 8.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Sharps40

8 july 15

Sold safari rifle. Budget just went up....a bit closer to that 8

I'm achin for photos too. Dad is the intermediary and primary mouthpiece on sight as he lives about 15 miles from the shop. Talked with him this morning....got him up at 730 on the phone!!!! He has V8 fever and can't decide yet whether we should be 6 or GM8 or Hemi. He promised a trip each week or so to snap photos as the work go's along. Good news is there are no other cars on the floor. Ol Bessy is the prime project for the build team! For now, we are waiting the initial assessment and have agreed to get the suspension and body repairs well in hand.....the drive train can wait a bit. But, it appears my Safari Rifle is sold and the budget increased a bit and we still have an $800 credit in place for work that has been ongoing thru the years. Most of the panels cut from a spare sedan in 1993 are on hand at the shop or in Dads atic and the tough one, rear roll pan under the trunk lid, was ordered many years back when that part was still available. Much of the floor is already done, trunk area is done, firewall out, much of the cowel damage cut away, etc. I can't remember if the Hood ornament is still with the car but I believe all of the stainless trim is there and we'll figure out the hood ram later too. For the time being......I am totally distracted from everything but this project and prolly lucky I'm not near the shop as I'd be in their daily to "see" stuff and prolly mostly slowing progress.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Sharps40

9 July 2015 Email to Dad and Mr. Walker....

Mr. Walker,

I've made some decisions, one's I hope will help the process.

BUDGET: Its growing somewhat. Sold a Safari Rifle. Working on a craigslist ad for the Wife, grandkids and four dogs that should net some additional funds if I can get them ALL to bathe before taking photos. Kick the budget to an estimated $18000 to $19000 with, I believe, up to $13000 available this month.

POWER PACK: Looks we need to try to make this a V8. Dad recently told me a story. Way back, early 60s.......engine was still a flat six, 30 over, 60 off head, offy 2bbl intake, twin Carter B&Bs and split manifold dual exhaust.....he drove the car from Hagerstown MD to Fort Knox, KY. Stuffed a small block Chevy V8 in the trunk, tied down the deck lid and drove it back to Hagerstown.

- Pull the Ford 200/C4 and plan for a V8/Auto Overdrive.

- Used low mileage 5.7L hemi's with trans and ECU/Harness unknown appear to be in the $4000 range. ECU, Harness, tins and peripherals can drive up to another couple thousand if not included.

- Setting Hemi Fever aside, make the decision points time and budget. At the time your Craftsmen are prepared to "Set" the power pack if our joint efforts have not procured a Hemi with Auto OD, move forward with a GM Small Block and Auto OD. There is significant nostalgic precedent for GM driveline and I'm very pleased to have either between the rails.

- Gearing in the differential as suited to an Auto OD trans. We'll not be drag racing. Old men driving around town looking for cokes and hotdogs and occasionally on the highways to get to a deer stand.

STEERING: No brainer, with a hot rod engine go's power rack and pinion. When you get to the steering column, wondering if it'll be possible to fit the original Dodge steering wheel to the new shaft?

WIPERS: Electric to replace the original vacuum

UPHOLSTERY: Continue to leave it off the table/out of the budget for the time being.

And because the kid in me can't resist asking.......

- "Dad, Mr. Walker, it's been two days. Is the car done yet?"

Old 07-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Sharps40

Hoping to have the first of the photos this week. Dad is heading to the shop with the camera and with luck it'll be outta the corner and some of the dust removed. Might be able to get and idea of what accident and rust damage has already been corrected over the years. As soon as I get them, I'll post em.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Sharps40

Email of 22 July 2015
"Pops,
Your and Mr. Walkers 23 year old joke is wearing on me.
I am daily balancing my new found exuberance for Ol Bessy against the knowledge that I can't be nagging Mr. Walker twice each day for a status update!
I also realize that you are fully engaged each day making sure my Mother is and remains anywhere from mildly irritated to crazy angry with your behavior.
But.....
If I don't soon get a photo of the car out of the corner and on the floor my head will explode."

Quick Reply: Ol Bessie is coming home after 23 years!