Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tow Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 12:15 AM
jbarn99usa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Mirror Replacement

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins with the tow mirrors that rotate out for pulling trailers. These mirrors have a normal mirror and a fish eye mirror. Well, the mirrors aren't held on too securely from an adhesive point of view and I watched the right fish eye mirror fall to it's demise pulling a horse trailer a few weeks ago.

I went to my dealer to get a replacement and was told it would cost me $255.00 since I had to buy the whole assembly. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get just the fish eye mirror?

While I'm at it, the 2001 were manual adjust. Has anyone figured out how to retrofit the automatic tow mirrors of the new models to the 2001 model. They look identical to the old ones, but they are automatic and the old ones are manual adjust.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:26 AM
Palm
Professional
Default RE: Tow Mirror Replacement

I don't know how you would get a replacement just for the fish eye on the mirror. You might find one in a salvage yard.

Did your truck have power mirrors before the tow mirrors were installed? If so, I would think that the power tow mirrors should directly replace the regular mirrors. If you didn't have power mirrors to begin with it would seem to me that the job would be a big one.

I had my regular power mirrors replaced with the power tow mirrors when I bought the truck. BTW, $255.00 will buy you a set of power tow mirrors, at least that's what the cost of them when I bought my truck. I worked them in on the deal that I made.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:47 AM
hanes

I know this is an extremely old topic, but i have the same problem (manual tow mirrors 01 3500) any aftermarket or quick fixes for it?.. thanks

Old 01-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Palm
Professional

hanes

I really never understood why they were trying to charge jbarn99usa so much for the mirrors as the price he quoted that they were going to charge him for the whole assembly would have bougt a complete set of power towing mirrors.

I also don't know if there is wiring present on a truck with standard mirrors, but I would think there would be. Might be a little difficult since one would also have to install the buttons and controls on the inside of the cab, so it may be a good job even if the wiring is already present for them.

Otherwise, there are links at the bottom of these posts where vendors are offering various towing mirrors, but if I just had one "fish eye" missing I think I might just try to locate one on a salvaged truck. Surely the complete mirror, new from Mopar would not cost as much as they were trying to charge the former poster.

Quick Reply: Tow Mirror Replacement