Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

P1740 Error Code

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1740 Error Code

Hey Guys, I'm out of town on a camping trip and miles from home. My check engine light came on and the engine runs rough and smokes at start up. I took the truck to an O'Riely's part store and borrowed their dionostic reader. The information that it gave me was the "P1740" code and it further described the problem as "TCC or O/D , Solenoid Performance.
Any suggestions or ideas on the matter? I'm two days drive away from home and sure don't want to break down on the road.
Thanks for the help...........

Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain
Default RE: P1740 Error Code

P1740 Torque Converter Clutch Inductive Signature Malfunction
That's all I got......sorry

Old 06-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the key on key off trick 3 times, leaving the key at the on possition, this will list all the codes where the odometer reads out. when it is finnished listing all the codes it will say done. . .there has to be something else wrong here.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:06 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

I see in your sig you have a rebuilt tranny. I upgraded my tc & vb on my 05'. About a week after driving my truck after I had the tranny upgrades. I got the 1740 code. I called my diesel shop and BD. They both confirmed to me that on the 05's especially (not all). When upgrading the tranny, it will throw the code. The new tc locks up on a different rpm than the stocker. So the truck thinks the tc is slipping. My truck runs and shifts great. 2006 like your truck might have similiar quirks.

The 1740 code will not affect your ideling or blowing smoke. As the post above. It is something going on w/ your engine. Sometimes it will not throw the engine light on. Cycle the key three times and all codes will pop up. Could be a injector bad or stuck open.Could be something else that'sminor. Take it to the dealer and let themlook overit when you get home.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Bigriver

Drew, I followed your lead with the key/ code reading procedure. The only code that comes up is the P1740. I should have mentioned that the day before, that I did fill up and use possibly an over estimated amount of the drew's brew combination. Could that have caused the excessive smoking? I would have imagined so now that I think of it. Also, is there a precedure as to clear the computer code?
I've got a call into ATS as to what is going on with the tanny. I've got to think that after all the bucks spent on this and the reputation that they have, this will get worked out.
It's so ironic, I went thru this transmission upgrade so that when I'm out on vacation with my family far from home a problem would not occur. Now look what happened, just what I was trying to avoid. What a drag..........Well I do have a bit of faith that this will work out to be OK.
Thanks for your help, I'll look forward to your and any other replies on this. Wish me luck!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only way to remove codes is with an OBDII reader. the brew should not be a factor into any smokeing. . .the amount used is diluted so much by the diesel your fuel filter will not change color.

have you checked your oil to see if there is any fuel in it. . .you could have a leaky injector

Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Bigriver

How could I determine if I have fuel in the oil? A higher level on the dip stick? Maybe get the oil analized? I'd hate to have an injector go out after only 26,000 miles. Does that happen often?
As for the trans issue, I heard back from ATS and they are aware of problems with the stock PCM not reconizing the signals well from their transmissions.I'm glad to hear that it's not a major problem, but they are currently working on a patch or some type of a correction to stop the error from reoccurring.
I suppose these are issues that just happen. It's a drag that it's happenning when the truck is less than a year old.
Thanks again.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:56 AM
firemansdodge
Professional

To check to see if you have fuel in the oil is by getting a white paper towel & take your dip stick and put a drip spot on the towel. If there is a light ring around the oil spot. Good odds you have fuel in the oil.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Bigriver

I made it home OK without any problems. Was somewhat aprehensive at first with the check engine light on, till the dealer who installed the ATS reassured me that it is being worked on. Time will tell I suppose, ATS has a good reputation and I can't think that they would leave me hanging like this. I cannot drive around forever though with this light still on, what if another serious problem occurred and I just ignored it thinking that it is still a irratating false light.
So what was your outcome when you had gone thru this situation? Did BD come thru and correct the problem?
As for the engine smoking, I had burned out all the fuel with the over concentrated drew's brew and run some fresh diesel thru the engine. Running just fine now. Our trials and tribulations eh?

Old 06-09-2007, 11:42 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

BD said I could install a lower stall TC, but may not fix the problem. They said it has to do w/ the 05's computer system. My truck shifts real good so I don't want to pull the TC I have in it now. One other person I know did the samething from another company. They told him about the samething. He even took it to the dealer and they said it's no problem and if they clear it. It will come back most likely. I did take my truck in to get a aftermarket exhaust manifold @ the same diesel shop thatdid my tranny. He recleared it again and the codehas not come back on. Maybe a few times of clearing it goes away.

What I did and it can be a inconvience. Is check the engine light w/ the three cycle on/off and it will display any other code that may pop up. I did that from time to time to make sure no other code other than the 1740 appeared. I know how my truck runs and sounds. If something out of the ordinary may occure. Then it's time to check for codes.

Quick Reply: P1740 Error Code