Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DIY: Transmission Work NV5600

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:19 PM
R0oster31
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY: Transmission Work NV5600

Once I had it all together I put the shift tower on just to make sure it would go through the gears. After I had checked this and knew I hadn’t dropped anything in the main case I bolted the PTO covers back on. Make sure you have all the surfaces clean before you start putting sealant on.
Name:  51.jpg
Views: 7067
Size:  15.2 KB
You can now put the transfer case back on. Mine had a gasket on it when I took it apart, but I was told sealant works just fine for when you put it back together.
Name:  52.jpg
Views: 6905
Size:  19.8 KB
You are now ready to put it back in the truck. I found a better transmission jack that would allow me to roll the entire assembly under the truck.
Name:  53.jpg
Views: 9014
Size:  33.3 KB
When you get it back under the truck the first order of business is to get it bolted back to the engine. Do not use the bolts to pull it up to the engine. I put mine in 6th and locked the transfer case in 4X4 so that I could just turn the disc that the front driveshaft bolts to to align the splines for the input shaft and clutch. Keep the distance even between the sides and top and bottom of the bell housing and clutch. It should slide together pretty easily if you have everything lined up. Remember to watch where the shift tower bolts on as that is what is most likely to hit the floor. Once you get it back together you can put the bolts back in and torque it down. It is a 14mm socket and the torque is 35 ft lbs.
Once you have that back in I would put the support cross member back in. I used the port a power to spread the frame rails to get it back in. The heads of the bolts are 13mm and the nuts are 15mm. Set the transmission down onto the cross member and bolt it down (15mm).
After I had the support cross member in and the transmission bolted to the engine I took out the jacks so it was easier to work underneath the truck. Put the clutch release cylinder ( ½ ), starter ( 12 point 10 mm), transfer case linkage, and vacuum lines (10mm) back in at this point. For pictures go back to earlier in the document.
Once you have that stuff connected you are ready to put the driveshafts back in. When you go to bolt the front driveshaft (5/8) back on make sure you get your alignment marks back in the correct places. For the rear driveshaft I slid it into the transfer case first and used a jackstand to hold up the back end while I put the hanger bearing back in (15mm socket and wrench). When you go to bolt the rear U-joint together (5/16) make sure you get it aligned the same way as when you took it out.
Now put the other cross member and skid plate back in (15mm). The washers for the cross member go on top of the cross member.
Name:  53-1.jpg
Views: 6910
Size:  19.7 KB
Now that you have everything reassembled underneath the truck you can fill the transfer case and transmission with fluid. For the transfer case I used a flex funnel pushed all the way against the floor to get the fluid in. It uses automatic transmission fluid.
Name:  54.jpg
Views: 7847
Size:  35.0 KB
The transmission was much easier as you can use the shift tower hole to fill it. There is a lot of debate on which fluids are best, I just used the part number off of the PTO cover and got if from the dealer. I just put in the full 5 quarts as a lot of places say to overfill it by up to a quart.
Name:  55.jpg
Views: 7146
Size:  26.8 KB
Now that you have the transmission full of fluid you are ready to put the inside back together. The rubber and metal gasket that was between the shift tower and the transmission gets sealant on the side that goes against the transmission but not the rubber side that is up. Once you have sealant on that put the shift tower back in and bolt it down.
Name:  56.jpg
Views: 7009
Size:  16.5 KB
After you have the shift tower back in finish putting your interior back together. The dust boot and console use 5/16 and the transfer case shifter uses 10mm.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

Now is the moment of truth, start her up and see if you have 6 forward and one reverse. You should have seen the look on my face when I started mine and everything worked the way it was supposed to. I hope you get that same look on your face when you start yours for the first time.
I have to thank my grandpa for letting me use his shop and tools. He also shared a little wisdom every once in a while (like using the chisel to losen the huge nut on the output shaft or using an air hammer to crack the bearing so it came off easy). He used to do a lot of trucking and farming and did all his own maintenance so I had more tools than I needed for this job. That’s also why I had to find a different transmission jack, the one for the semis was too tall to roll out from underneath my truck with the transmission on it. The project took me a few days, but I didn’t work to fast and had no guidance, hopefully this helps you so it goes quicker and you don’t have to figure to many things out on your own.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:40 AM
dieselram
Captain

Wow, very impressive work and well written. Glad you could do it yourself and save a lot of money (just another reason for me to takemine to a shop though).

Old 06-27-2007, 03:27 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: R0oster31
Let me know what you guys think.

Dude you ROCK !!!

THANK YOU !!!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

[sm=interesting.gif] You did ALOT OF WORK! Way to GO, MAN![sm=yikesomg.gif]

Man, those are big trannies. I could only get two quarts in my nv3500 and 1-1/2 quarts in the TC.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:47 AM
moconst
Veteran

Very nice DIY, very thorough. That should be posted up top. Well done!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 223 Likes on 208 Posts

Well done... I have added it to the CTD FAQ thread at the top.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot see the pictures at work since they are hosted at photobucket[:@]

but so far everything looks good

Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a look while at home. . .GOOD JOB!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 AM
R0oster31
Veteran

That's for the words of approval and adding it up top, it took me a little while to write it.

Quick Reply: DIY: Transmission Work NV5600