Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission stuck in 1st

Old 06-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Doken
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission stuck in 1st

I've got a 1999 2500 4xd diesel. The transmission won't shift out of first. Shopreplaced solenoid and throttle sensor (not sure which ones) and seemed to fix. 100 miles later and its stuck in first again. Just drove 12 miles at 20mph to get home. Not much info, but looking for any suggestions!
Thanks!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:24 PM
KenZ
Veteran
Default RE: Transmission stuck in 1st

Sounds like a rebuild in your future. Transmissions on superdutys are a weak link. Maybe try posting on one of the ford sites. Someone there might have experienced the same problem and can provide more info. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 PM
cumminalong

F'n PAGE ERRORS!!! DAMN IT!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Doken

My typing stinks. It is a Dogde 4x4 2500 with a 47RE. I traded a F350 Powerstroke for this one! One of the trans shops here said to glue filter materialto the end of the sensor and it should run for a long time. He said OD is bad about going out and putting metal in trans on the 47RE. Do this sound reasonable????

Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

Sounds fishy to me, but I'm no expert. Maybe someone around here has heard of doing that. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 PM
ALLINFUN2007
Default Transmission stuck in first gear

I have a 2007 2500 Ram Diesel, automatic transmission. I can't think of which transmission I have at this moment. I was told by a transmission mechanic by my local Dodge dealer that the transmission was originally a three speed transmission and was updated to a four speed. He was surprised to see it in an 07 truck. Here is the problem I am having; the first twenty five thousand miles on the truck were no problem. Now the truck is getting stuck in first gear and the only way to resolve it is pull over, shut it off, wait a few minutes, restart it and the problem clears itself. Originally the code came up that the number two sensor was bad and my local dealer replaced the sensor and I was good for about a thousand miles. He recommends that he drops the transmission and have a look. I have a friend of mine that works at another Dodge dealership who has a transmission mechanic who has been at the dealership for twenty five years. We plugged in the computer, went out for a half hour drive and there were no indications of anything wrong. He disagrees with the other dealer's mechanic of dropping the transmission to have a look. He feels I should just wait until the transmission totally fails so that at that point he would know what is wrong with it. Appreciate any suggestions. Can't afford to trade it in.
Thanks.
Don

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission stuck in 1st