Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2000 Dodge Ram fuel leak from tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
kwn306
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Ram fuel leak from tank

I went to fill up my truck the other day, I normally fill the tank into the filler neck.

I went inside the station to purchase a cold drink and when I came out there was diesel fuel dripping from the fuel tank, I got under the truck and it is leaking from the top of the tank.

I brought the truck to my local fix-it fellow and he dropped the tank and found the filler hose had cracks in it so figured that was the problem, plus the filler neck had a bunch of rust in it. He ordered the pieces from Dodge and installed them. When I picked up the truck he said he hoped that this was the problem because the dealer said it could be a metal piece on top of the tank that was over $500.

Well I went to fill the tank again and I had diesel fuel coming out the top of the tank again.

What is this $500 metal piece on the top of the tank and can it be replaced with anything else?

Once I drive the truck about 20 - 30 miles the leak stops, could it be something else leaking?

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:39 PM
brettj2408
Captain

Dont fill your filler neck all the way up
When you fill it all the way up there is a drain at the top of the neck on most models that allow some overfill to drain out.
There is a rubber neck that goes from the tube that you fill the gas up at to the inlet of the fuel tank. Sometimes those hose clamps come loose or the rubber hose starts to crack which can cause leaks.
What exactly are you saying it rusting?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
kwn306

Originally Posted by brettj2408
Dont fill your filler neck all the way up
When you fill it all the way up there is a drain at the top of the neck on most models that allow some overfill to drain out.
There is a rubber neck that goes from the tube that you fill the gas up at to the inlet of the fuel tank. Sometimes those hose clamps come loose or the rubber hose starts to crack which can cause leaks.
What exactly are you saying it rusting?
Been filling it up into the filler neck for the last 10 yrs and never had a problem.

The piece that attaches to the truck at the filler door was all rusty, so I had the fix-it dude replace the hose from the filler neck and the filler neck itself and the tank still leaks when filled up. I do not have a parts break down of the fuel tank and associated fittings so I am kinda lost at finding the weak link.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM
brettj2408
Captain

if something is rusty i would have to say that might be the culprit. could slowly be corroding. you sure your hoses are on all the way and tight?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:59 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could be your rollover valve iv never heard of this 500 dollar metal piece on a plastic tank i think hes feeding you a line...imo..make sure he actually changed out the fuel filler neck they commonly rust out..there's a metal skid plate around the tank if i remember correctly..

Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 AM
uncle timmy
Default My Gas tank melted

I haven't figured out why but my gas tank melted around the neck area. My truck just died one day on the way to get gas, it was very low around 1/8th tank. I put fuel in from a can.. got to the pump.. filled it.. it wouldn't start. Dang it. Finally it started again only to fail at my next stop.. after the tow came my fuel was running out as he tilted my truck.. at the mechanic shop they said they thought I'd need a new pump and filter and TANK.. $800 later the dang thing died on the way home.. I needed a coil. Given the fact that my tank was melted and had a thumb sized hole in it I didn't get too mad. They didn't charge me for the coil or all new plugs but WTF?
I am now afraid to drive it. I know I have leaks in my exhaust but this is unreal. In order to melt that tank we had to have some HIGH HIGH TEMPS going on. Any ideas??

Old 04-09-2015, 08:49 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

What plugs. Diesels don't have plugs.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Ram fuel leak from tank