Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Seat Belt solenoids 1999 2500

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:08 PM
ICLIMB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Belt solenoids 1999 2500

Hey guys I'm new to the forum so I don't know if this is the correct place to post to. If not let me know and I'll move it.

Ok so I had a problem with something draining my batteries and I narrowed it down to the IOD circuit and eventually to a glove box light that wasn't going out. Anyways I'm still checking for draw on my system and I can't seem to get below .3 amps (this is with my tester set to 10A) Ok so that said I talked to my dodge dealer and an auto electrician and they said that I should be looking at around .03 amps. So I kept unplugging stuff on the IOD circuit and figured out that to get down to .03A I have to unplug the seatbelt solenoids.

So to make a short story long, here is my question should the seatbelt solenoids be drawing current off the battery even with the key turned off? Also I have checked for the draw after all the modules have shut-down, 15minutes or so.

Does any of that make sense?
Thanks for the help,
Jake

Old 10-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Seat Belt solenoids 1999 2500

Yes the seat belt timer module stays active for 30 minutes after the ignition if turned off. Unpulg the module under the drivers seat and see if your draw goes away...

Some info below...

SEATBELT CONTROL TIMER MODULE
DESCRIPTION
The Seatbelt Control Timer Module (SCTM) is secured to a bracket underneath the front edge of the front seat center cushion. The SCTM mounting bracket also serves as the support for the slide-out rear seat cup holder unit. The SCTM contains an electromechanical Gravity (G)-sensor and an electronic timer circuit. The SCTM receives hard wired external inputs from the ignition switch and both door jamb switches. The SCTM monitors the external inputs, as well as the inputs from its internal timer and G-sensor. In response to those inputs, the SCTM controls hard wired battery voltage outputs to both electric front seat belt retractor latch solenoids. The SCTM also sends diagnostic outputs to the Airbag Control Module (ACM) over a hard wired fault circuit.
For diagnosis of the CCD data bus, the ACM or the fault circuit input to the ACM from the SCTM, the use of a DRB scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual are recommended. The SCTM cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if faulty or damaged, must be replaced.
OPERATION
The SCTM provides battery current to energize the electric seat belt retractor latch solenoids whenever the ignition switch is in the On or Accessory positions, unless the G-sensor input indicates a vehicle condition that requires the seat belt retractor to be latched. When the seat belt retractor latch solenoids are energized the retractor spools are unlatched, and the seat belt webbing can be extracted from the retractor. When the solenoids are de-energized the retractor spools latch, preventing the seat belt webbing from being extracted further from the retractor. This logic ensures that the seat belts will be latched and remain latched if battery power is lost during a vehicle collision.
The electromechanical G-sensor within the SCTM monitors the rate of vehicle acceleration and deceleration in any horizontal direction. The G-sensor also responds to the horizontal attitude of the vehicle. If the G-sensor monitors a gravity force of greater than about 0.7G in any horizontal direction, or that the vehicle is tilted in any direction at an angle of greater than about 45 degrees, the SCTM will sense the input from the G-sensor and de-energize the seat belt retractor latch solenoids.
The SCTM electronic timer circuit provides the vehicle occupants with the ability to extract the seat belt webbing from the retractor spool for a time period of about 30 minutes after the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, unless the G-sensor input indicates a vehicle condition that requires the seat belt retractor to be latched. The electronic timer circuit also monitors the state of the door jamb switches, and unlatches the seat belt retractors after either door jamb switch cycles from open to closed or from closed to open. Each time the SCTM receives an input indicating a change in the state of a monitored switch has occurred, the 30 minute timer starts again. The timer de-energizes the retractor latch solenoids after about 30 minutes to prevent the battery from being drained while the vehicle is not being driven.
The hard wired SCTM fault circuit output to the ACM is used to indicate whether a fault condition is present in the electronic seat belt control system. The ACM continuously monitors the SCTM fault circuit and sends the proper messages to the instrument cluster over the Chrysler Collision Detection (CCD) data bus to turn the seat belt reminder lamp on or off. When no faults are present or monitored by the SCTM, the normal voltage range on the SCTM fault circuit is between one and three volts. If the ACM detects voltages outside the normal range on this circuit, or does not detect any input from the SCTM, it sets a fault code and sends messages to the instrument cluster to turn the seat belt reminder lamp on.

Diagnosis and testing....

SEATBELT CONTROL TIMER MODULE
For complete circuit diagrams, refer to Restraint System in the Contents of Wiring Diagrams.
[*]Check the fused B(+) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.[*]Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the battery as required.[*]Check the fused ignition switch output (run-acc) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.[*]Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run-acc) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 5. If not OK, repair the open fused ignition switch output (run-acc) circuit to the ignition switch as required.[*]Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the wire harness connector from the connector receptacle of the Seatbelt Control Timer Module (SCTM) Reconnect the battery negative cable. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the wire harness connector for the SCTM. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the junction block fuse as required.[*]Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run-acc) circuit cavity of the wire harness connector for the SCTM. If OK, go to Step 7. If not OK, repair the open fused ignition switch output (run-acc) circuit to the junction block fuse as required.[*]Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the wire harness connector for the SCTM and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, repair the open ground circuit to ground as required.[*]Check for continuity between the right door ajar switch sense circuit cavity of the wire harness connector for the SCTM and a good ground. There should be no continuity with the right front door closed, and continuity with the right front door open. Repeat this test for the left door ajar switch sense circuit. If both circuits check OK, and the problem is with only one inoperative electric seat belt retractor latch solenoid, refer to Electric Seat Belt Retractor Latch Solenoid in the Diagnosis and Testing section of this group. If both circuits check OK, and the problem is with both electric seat belt retractor latch solenoids being inoperative, replace the faulty SCTM. If either or both door ajar switch sense circuits is not OK, refer to Door Jamb Switch in the Diagnosis and Testing section of Vehicle Theft/Security Systems.[/ol]
ELECTRIC SEAT BELT RETRACTOR LATCH SOLENOID
For complete circuit diagrams, refer to Restraint System in the Contents of Wiring Diagrams.
[*]Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the seat wire harness connector from the connector receptacle of the Seatbelt Control Timer Module (SCTM)[*]Check the resistance between the inoperative (driver side or passenger side) seat belt solenoid control circuit cavity of the seat wire harness connector for the SCTM and a good ground. The correct resistance should be from 50 to 60 ohms. If OK, refer to Seatbelt Control Timer Module in the Diagnosis and Testing section of this group. If not OK, go to Step 3.[*]Disconnect the seat wire harness connector from the connector receptacle of the inoperative (driver or passenger) electric seat belt retractor latch solenoid. Check the resistance between the two terminals in the connector receptacle of the electric seat belt retractor latch solenoid. The correct resistance should be from 50 to 60 ohms. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, replace the faulty seat belt retractor unit.[*]Check the resistance between the ground circuit cavity of the seat wire harness connector for the electric seat belt retractor latch solenoid and a good ground. There should be no measurable resistance. If OK, repair the open (driver side or passenger side) seat belt solenoid control circuit between the seat wire harness connectors for the electric seat belt retractor latch solenoid and the SCTM as required. If not OK, repair the ground circuit to ground as required. [/ol]

Old 07-03-2011, 10:01 AM
nocreek

What do you do when the solenoid is no longer manufactured? Is there a way to bypass this solenoid so that the seatbelts can be used?

Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Poncho Villa

Por favor, I'd like to bump this message. My battery keeps draining too. I put the charger to the battery this morning & heard a thumping sound that I narrowed down to the seat belt retractor. This issue sounds very much related to mine so I'm interested in determining a solution in layman's terms.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM
GSP7

I just found this thread

I am having seat belt solinoid staying locked problem on my '99CTD, Drivers seat side

I found this Diagnose & Testing of the SCTM. I will try

There is also a wire color code chart I may post later if anyone else is haveing seat belt solenoid wont unlock problems

I found a bypass trick for the wires that plug into the SCTM.

The Pink(bat pwr), DarkBlue(ign,acc pwr), Orange/black(driverside lock solenoid), Orange/red(pass side lock solenoid...

Jump a wire from the Dark blue wire to the Orange/blk wire and that will unlock the drivers seat belt. Pink wire will work too, but that will drain your batt if left connected,I think

Another problem I had after wireing a jump from DB to OR/Bk(driverside) is some times when ignition is off I noticed my radio was lit up. Well with the jump connected sometimes my SCTM must be giveing power(though the pink wire) to the solenoid and the power goes backwards through my jump wire and keeps my ignition power on

This seat belt staying locked is a real nightmare.
I will try to diagnose it further. I dont want to go shell out $150 for a new SCTM because if read many people have replaced their SCTM and still have seatbelt wont unlock problems

Parts Service, Where did you get that Diagnosis and Testing wrie up you posted? Is that out of the '99 Dodge ram 2500 Service Manual?

Last edited by GSP7; 08-27-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oddly enough, the driver's seatbelt for my 98 was still available a couple of months ago.

However, my intermittent issue with the IOD locking up my seatbelts was due to - I think - the rock hard rear suspension bouncing the G-sensor out of whack and making the module think I was crashing. I took mine apart, put it back together, and it has worked fine since.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 PM
dadajasen
Default seat belt light

I can not figure out why my seat belt light stays on only when the truck is started? Can somebody please give me information so I can correct the problem?

Old 11-29-2013, 02:57 PM
GSP7

I can not figure out why my seat belt light stays on only when the truck is started? Can somebody please give me information so I can correct the problem?
Probably that little box under the center console seat. I'm not spending 2 hunert bucks to relpace it
As my above post.

My light still stays on sometimes, sometimes goes off. Sometimes my seat belt solinoids stay lock so I flip my by base switch I have rigged into SCTM box and belts release

Old 04-20-2014, 12:09 PM
WWDiesel
Default Seat Belt Control Module

My seat belts locked up last year, I bought a used module off eBay, it died after only 6 months and belts locked up again. I added a momentary push button to circuit that allows users to pull belts out and fasten. Only problem is, once the button is released the belt locks so it will not allow you to move much.
I tried to order a new Seat Belt Module Part No. 56043003AD; none of the on line sellers have one, and I tried everyone who had the parts listed. They all say they are not available anymore or are on national backorder.
I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA concerning these seat belt problems as should everyone and hopefully force Chrysler to do a recall. There are tons of people on the internet saying they are having the same problem!
So, does anyone know where to obtain a new seat belt module???

Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM
tincan57
Captain

Horatio has mentioned Geno's Garage (give them a call). K.

Last edited by tincan57; 04-21-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Spell

Quick Reply: Seat Belt solenoids 1999 2500