Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Reverse lights not working

Old 10-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Little Foot
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lights not working

Does anyone know if they have found the fix for reverse lights going out after pulling trailers? The last time they just re-flashed the ECM and told me that it is a bug being worked on. I pulled another trailer and same result no reverse lights. My truck is about to loss the 36,000 bumper to bumper so I don't want to be paying for the re-flashes out of pocket every time I tow. I only tow with the rear of the truck asI do not has a goose neck set-up.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: Reverse lights not working

seriously look into an extended warranty for the truck.
they can be bought any time with in the original warranty time.

sounds funny that an ecm would controll your reverse lights.

is there a different dealer you could go to??

in the past Dodge ran the entire lighting circuit through the ignition switch and through the head light switch. this caused things to over heat and burn out when towing with a lot of extra lights on a trailer.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Little Foot
Veteran

The trailers were a standardsingle car hauler, and the other was a similar trailer for hauling bob cats. I noticed this today while backing in to a spot at work. The service manager that I was dealing with parted was from the dealership. I will try the other service guy who I more up onthe CTD's.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:53 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

I've been having the same problem, I was unaware that this was related to pulling trailers

Old 10-23-2007, 01:56 PM
dhattaway

I know there was a problem with the flash on the "Totally Integrated Power Module" (TIPM) with stop and turn lights but I don't remember anything about back-up lights. (And I don't have a wiring diagram handy to check) They took out the fuses and ran everything through "computer controlled" relays. So, when it saw a large load it cut out the circuit. After a few tries it became a permanent problem that required a reflash to fix. One way to solve that problem is to go into the harness before the trailier connector and put in fuses on all of the leads (except the ground, of course) That way the worst you'll have is a blown fuse and won't require a re-flash.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

Well instead of a re-flash, if I'm understanding correctly I should be able to change the relay and it would be fixed, right?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:25 AM
dhattaway

Don't know if the TIPM was used on the '03. You may be lucky enough not to have it. On mine there is nothing to change except the few fuses that are left on top. It's all integrated circuitry in the box.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:31 AM
joepascoe19
Rookie

my headlights whent out and that was the problam they just reflashed and they worked fine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse lights not working