Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Squeal from belt-driven components

Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
amercier4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeal from belt-driven components

Hello all,

I have a 2003 Ram 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins. I have had a squeel from the front of the engine off and on for the last couple of months. Over the last couple of days, it has developed into a constant noise. It is definitely part of the belt-driven components on the front of the engine, as the noise does not stop when the truck is stopped. I have replaced the water pump as I thought that was the culprit and have ordered a new idler pulley as the next, cost effective, step. The noise itself seems to originate on the lower passenger side of the engine around where the ilder pulley/tensioner and A/C compressor are located.

If the idler pulley does not solve the problem, my next step would appear to be the A/C Compressor. I guess I am asking a couple of questions with all of this:

1. Do I seem to be on the right track?
2. How difficult is the removal/replacement of the A/C Compressor. I know I can get my hands on the components, but have never so much as touched this particular system before.
3. Any other suggestions?

For additional background: I have a relatively new power steering pump (other side of the engine so not likely the problem), this is my 2nd water pump, belt is less than a year old, and the alternator on the top of the engine does not seem to make any noise.

Any help or advice is welcome and appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeal from belt-driven components