Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

shocks write-up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
mytowrig
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks write-up?

does anybody have or have seen a DIY for replacing shocks on an '07 or similar? was gonna try to get to doing it today and was looking for some guidelines... thanks.

also, can nybody tell me how long it should take to do all 4?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:54 PM
sabersix
Default RE: shocks write-up?

No write-up, but I've done all four (Bilstein's) and it took maybe an hour.

The rear shocks are very simple. Unbolt, remove and bolt in new shocks.

The fronts were a bit tougher. You have to remove the whole top shock mount bracket (three nuts holding it on). I found it easier to accomplish by jacking up the truck by the frame (using 2x4 wood blocks under the stock jack) to relieve the pressure off the shock mount bracket nuts. The bottom mounting bolt has an access hole through the spring mount. As I recall, the bolts where a funny metric size which I did not have, but I was able to use a standard size 6 point socket.

Also, be sure to reuse the metal backing plates that are at the top of the original shocks if your new shocks don't come with them.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
mytowrig
Captain

thanks. it it easier to do the rear if i lift the bed up as high as it will go or is no support needed for the rear, just un-bold and bolt on?
also, it turns out i wont be doing it today, i don't have large enough sockets with me, i'll have to wait till i have time at home...[:@]

Old 01-05-2008, 03:37 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

Well considering it only took me a couple of hours by my self and only one floor jack, to do the leveling kit on both sides. I would guess that if I had to do it, it would take maybe an hour to an hour and a half to do all 4 shocks.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:37 PM
sabersix

Rear is unbolt and bolt new one on. You just have to compress the shock while inserting the bottom bolt. Not worth jacking it up for that, but it is a different story in the front. It is very difficult to compress the shock and get the top shock mount bracket back on.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:31 PM
burban2002
Veteran

X2 on what those guys were saying. The rears are cake and you should jack up the truck for the front ones. If you go with the bilsteins, they compress the shocks with plastic straps so on the back you cut the lines and let them extend into position. To do all 4 it took me about 1:30 but some of the bolts were a pain becuase they were rusted

Quick Reply: shocks write-up?