Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > Dodge Cummins Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Ram's within Dodge Diesel Forum.

dodge losing cummins?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 24V Cummins Turbo Diesel 3" Straight To 4" Tip K&N Drop in Silencer Ring M.I.A.
Default dodge losing cummins?

a buddy of mine told me that ford bought out cummins....any truth to this?...i sure hope not
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!

Dodge makes it Cummins Shakes it
Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Default RE: dodge losing cummins?

Quote:
ORIGINAL: gales73

a buddy of mine told me that ford bought out cummins....any truth to this?...i sure hope not
No that is FALSE. Cummins owns Cummins and thats it. I have heard people trying to spread this around for a while now.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

Quote:

No that is FALSE. Cummins owns Cummins and thats it. I have heard people trying to spread this around for a while now.
Isn't it true though, that Daimler Chrysler owns Detroit Diesel? I wonder why the rams never got a little Detroit.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 24V Cummins Turbo Diesel 3" Straight To 4" Tip K&N Drop in Silencer Ring M.I.A.

No that is FALSE. Cummins owns Cummins and thats it. I have heard people trying to spread this around for a while now. You mean dodge owns cummins?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Isn't it true though, that Daimler Chrysler owns Detroit Diesel? I wonder why the rams never got a little Detroit.

I will ask my dad he worked at williams detroit diesel/allison for 20 years

Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

The way my buddy described it was that ford bought out cummins from dodge and that dodge was getting cattipiller I called him out on it on spot

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Every time we start talking about which diesel company owns who I love to pull up this post from a while ago....good read:

http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_618521/tm.htm

Quote:
Right now, Cummins makes all diesels in all pickup trucks sold in the United States. Cummins makes 73% of all diesels in all trucks sold in the world. The board of directors at Inquardo -- which isn't listed on any stock exchange -- includes 9 Cummins execs, 2 Caterpillar execs, and one Wells Fargo Bank exec. The CEO and CFO are also Cummins vice presidents. And there are Cummins execs on the boards of Daimler Chrysler, General Motors, Toyota, and Honda America. Ford, the holdout, has not been doing very well.

'08 Sportster 883L
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Basically this is how it goes down with the whole ford/cummins deal. A number of years ago Ford bought some cummins stock, not the company, not rights to the motor, not a contract. They bought about 20 percent of cummins stock. Now you can speculate as to why they did it all day long. Long story short a few years after they bought the stock, they sold it and now have nothing to do with it whatsoever. As far as the DCX detroit thing, I do remember hearing something like that, but rest assured as long as we are as loyal as we are to our cummins powered Rams, Dodge would be retarded, absolutely retarded to cancel that contract, thus they likely never will.

2007 Ram Big Horn Quad Cab CTD
Edge Juice and A2 monitor
H2 Wheels and 315/70/17 BFG A/T's
Custom Willy's Whistler Intake
AERO 4040XL
AMSOIL Dealer
Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:

I will ask my dad he worked at williams detroit diesel/allison for 20 years
True.
http://www.detroitdiesel.com/about/default.aspx
Old 02-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Tommygunz

Basically this is how it goes down with the whole ford/cummins deal. A number of years ago Ford bought some cummins stock, not the company, not rights to the motor, not a contract. They bought about 20 percent of cummins stock. Now you can speculate as to why they did it all day long. Long story short a few years after they bought the stock, they sold it and now have nothing to do with it whatsoever. As far as the DCX detroit thing, I do remember hearing something like that, but rest assured as long as we are as loyal as we are to our cummins powered Rams, Dodge would be retarded, absolutely retarded to cancel that contract, thus they likely never will.
Very well explained. I also heard that Detroit had made an engine proto type for light duty aplications but they could't get fuel economy numbers anywhere close to that of even the Powerjokes or Duracraps. I don't think we will see a Detroit in a light duty passenger vehicle ever.
Also Wasn't it Dodge who tinkered with the Idea of a contract with Caterpiler, or was is Chevy? I can't remember but I do remember Caterpiller decided that they could not produce units fast enough to keep up with production unless they biult a new plant so they turned down the contract.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:52 AM

Tags
20045, automatic, company, cummins, diesel, dodge, join, loosing, losing, owns, stocks, ticker, transmissions, trucks, turning