Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Accidently put gas in my tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM
minex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accidently put gas in my tank

I put about 4.10 gallons of 85 octane gas in my tank before catching the mistake. After spending an hour trying to figure out how to get the gas out, I finally just said **** it. I just filled the rest of the tank with diesel fuel (36 gallons) and drove home. Should I be worried that there are 4 gallons of gasoline in the tank?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:25 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

I wouldnt worry too much about 4 gal, Ive heard all kinds of stories about truckers adding unleaded to diesel in the winter to prevent gelling and people mix diesel, gas and motoroil to make something called "black diesel." I would throw some two-stroke oil in there for safe measures to counteract the gas but you should be fine as long as you arnt hot-rodding it or towing heavy.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 PM
minex
Veteran

Yeah. That seems like the general consensus. I drove about 60 miles today and the truck ran perfectly. You wouldn't even guess there's 4 gallons of gasoline in the tank unless I told you.

Last edited by minex; 08-16-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

that is funny. my dads friend runs more gas through his Cummins than that. i would say if you pumped more than 10 gallons of gas in you might want to drain and dilute it more but 4 gallons is just funny.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let me guess you have no pyrometer as well?

If you did I would watch the pyro...it will probably run hot till all the gasoline is out of the tank. sometimes you will even see fire come out the tailpipe.

truckers used to add gas every once in a while to their tanks to "clean things out" basically makes the engine run very hot and a lot of times they would be putting fire out of the stacks from it. but it helps burn off the excess soot build up.

Quick Reply: Accidently put gas in my tank