Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

White smoke on startup

Old 08-23-2008, 11:03 AM
brycharz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke on startup

I have a completely stock (never had a programmer or anyting on it) 2007, 2500,with the 5.9 CTD, 20000mi, synthetic oil, clean air filter.

Problem I'm expierenceing is when I start the truck after it's been sitting all night it will put out a good amount of white smoke. I can watch it come out the exhaust pipe and the smoke appears to studder or pulse out of the tailpipe as if it was one cylinder only pushing the smoke out. It's quite a bit of smoke, nice sized cloud and it smells sharp like the engine has a bad fuel/air mix.

If the truck has been sitting for a few hours to "cool" down it will smoke again but not as much.

The engine feels like it's "missing" when the smoke is coming out but once it runs for 30 seconds or so it smooths out and smoke stops.

I don't appear to have any performace problems and average 16.7-17.3 mpg in the city (according to the overhead).

Havn't changed the fuel filter since I got it but I'm going to go and pick up the stuff I need to do it tomorrow.

Any other suggestions??

Old 08-23-2008, 05:57 PM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

I had this same situation, as described. I changed the fuel filter and it cleared up, didn't have that at start up anymore thankfully. I feared it was an injector going bad... so, I think you are starting appropriatly and hope it helps.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:32 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

A little puff of white smoke by it's self is no problem. What you described is what my truck did when an injector was leaking down over night. Depending on how good your dealer is they may tell you (parroting back what Dodge says) that white smoke on startup for up to a minute or two is normal. However when accompanied by rough idle it is not. This is not an engine threatening problem, but it is also not normal, especially when temps are warm out. I would suggest you take it in and have it documented. They may also not be able to determine which injector it is. The tech at my dealer kept the truck over night and removed the exhaust manifold. He then had a co-worker start the truck in the am while he watched the exhaust ports to see which one was the culprit. He found it and replaced it, and it solved the problem until the next one went out. When I returned for the same problem they replaced all 6 and I have been injector issue free for 40K more miles. Good luck and post up what you find.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 PM
charzman

--UPDATE--

Started up the truck the morning after the first post and watched the white smoke come out as usual, although not as bad as some other times. After the engine warmed up it still smelled like an old school bus.

Changed out the fuel filter which was fairly easy. The old filter was pretty dark, almost black. Truck seems to run smoother and havn't seen ANY white smoke. The exhaust smells sweet again, like the day I bought it. Fuel mileage appears to have popped up a little as well.

Must by why the filter is so easy to replace vs other cars and trucks I've owned.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Dodge This
Professional

I am glad you took my advice the other day at work and changed the fuel filter. If you do decide to take it in to a dealer take it down to Fourstars. Dont use the place here in town.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:35 PM
cookie88
Rookie

just another note for you, when the weather becomes cold it is likely it will start smoking white again, simply because of the cold fuel and engine, will clear up as it gets to operating temp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White smoke on startup