Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Differential Fluid Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

fluid changes are already easy as the gasket is reuseable. I was pumping mine out until I found out that the gasket is reuseable... now it takes next to no time at all.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 PM
palmtree
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine..I do them both every second year..expensive like everything else on these trucks. 75w140 cause of the weather and I tow. As far as the diff covers I would save your cash for other repairs you have to remove the diff covers for inspection and it would be wise to have it done by someone who klnows what to look for other than being concerned with saving a few dollars. My truck has been maintained supreme and taken care of and the wheel bearing and a u joint on the front crapped out. So once you start paying a mechanic to rip the front end apart at only 85,ooo miles.., well you might as well rebuild everything under there and around here thats pretty common for these trucks total cost about $3500. so, I would save your pennies for the big repairs. Ram tough .. what a joke.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by palmtree
I just did mine..I do them both every second year..expensive like everything else on these trucks. 75w140 cause of the weather and I tow. As far as the diff covers I would save your cash for other repairs you have to remove the diff covers for inspection and it would be wise to have it done by someone who klnows what to look for other than being concerned with saving a few dollars. My truck has been maintained supreme and taken care of and the wheel bearing and a u joint on the front crapped out. So once you start paying a mechanic to rip the front end apart at only 85,ooo miles.., well you might as well rebuild everything under there and around here thats pretty common for these trucks total cost about $3500. so, I would save your pennies for the big repairs. Ram tough .. what a joke.
yup, we get them all here... "Ford Tough"... "Chevy... Like a Rock" it's all marketing. if you want something that will last buy a peterbuilt... oh no wait, they break to...

get over it.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Expensive truck = expensive parts. Everything wears out. 85,000 miles is reasonable to start repairing things.

Quick Reply: Differential Fluid Maintenance