Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2005 Ram 2500 noises

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think at this point I'd be trying a new dealer (or repair shop if it's not warranty). It does appear that they can't troubleshoot worth a lick and since the issue initially started AFTER they touched it, I'd be hesitant to let them touch it again...

Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
neonknights
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty then!! I removed the front drive shaft without letting anyone know!
Took the service Manager for ride in truck, placed truck in reverse, a slight turn of the steering wheel to the left, let truck idle in reverse, clunk....clunk....clunk.....The rear R&P is shot with all bearings etc.....AGAIN! they opened up rearend last week, Manager said it looked as if the rear end was ran without oil, which is not the case, but it got so hot it turned R&P blue!!!!! dealer now have the parts, should have another update on Thursday or Friday of this week. This is the 4th Ring & Pinion in that rear end!!!
I think it is a setup issue with r&p....Supposedly, these are not shimmed but they have an internal adjustment. Anyone know about these?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 PM
neonknights

Okay..... Still had that pop, bing, grind noise.....took back to dealer....they said "rear R&P shot to hell!!" They replaced rear R&P...Service manager still heard a noise....new transmission has been ordered and will arrive tomorrow!
So far front repairs; 6 R&P's, new ujoints in front axle shafts, new front drive shaft x2.
rear repairs; 4 R&P's, new rear driveshaft.
New transfercase
Now, new transmission!!!!

obviously they do not know how to setup a R&P. WTF, 96,000 miles and everything but the motor will be new. I am sure, and will bet money, that the rear and front R&P will need to be replaced around 115k miles!!!
I have been telling them that the torque converter has a "shudder" ever since 36k miles. Guess they are now listening me......

Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 PM
allbroncos

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I think at this point I'd be trying a new dealer (or repair shop if it's not warranty). It does appear that they can't troubleshoot worth a lick and since the issue initially started AFTER they touched it, I'd be hesitant to let them touch it again...

I second that!!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
reefguy89
Captain

i would want a new truck. i would talk to a lawyer about the lemon law process.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:08 PM
neonknights

Unfortunately, the lemon law here in NM is only for the first year. All was fine till they replaced the rear pinion seal @ 36k miles then the front......No other Dodge dealer will take on this "old" warranty work. All refused!!
The service manager told me that his shop foreman recently attended a school for R&P setup. Maybe they have it right this time.... I have spoke to my Corp. lawyer and advice is very slim. Almost like I am out on the ocean on a rickety ol' wooden raft made by Dodge! Service manager is a GOOD guy. Takes truck everytime, never makes a neg comment. Serv Manager was told transmission is in and it is perfect!! he is driving it today to ensure. Will post with results soon!
Hopefully this post will help someone else.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
IssaquahWA1979
Amateur

I used to work for a Dodge Dealer in Northern CA and I can tell you there are good techs, great techs and then shop monkeys... The guys that are great techs actually look to find and solve a ptoblem, the others throw parts at things until they finally get it right. I highly doubt that all the things you listed have been broken at all but in haste to fix the problem they "find" these issues. I am on my second Cummins and I have never had a single drive line problem in either truck, the 01 had 180,000 highly abused and overloaded life the 05 not as much but has been just fine. I cannot even think of the last transfer case I have seen on these trucks failed other than when blown apart sled pulling or some idiot driving around in 4wd all the time.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM
TexasRed_21
Post Knocking noise

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram diesel 2500 and i have a knocking noise. i know it has something to do with my drive shaft. At first i took the drive shaft out and had all the joints replaced and i put it back in a the knocking is still there. It didnt make the knocking noise when i had the drive shaft out and now that i put it back in its back wtf??? any body have a clue what this might be?

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Ram 2500 noises-223869_465361780153815_1424144678_n.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram 2500 noises