Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cold Air Intake for 2004 5.9 Diesel

Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Ron3909
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake for 2004 5.9 Diesel

Looking for some input on the best cold air intake.

Thanks
Ron

Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Coal Train
All Star

What do you do with the truck and what other upgrades do you have planned?

The two intakes that I like are S&B and AFE.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Ron3909

I haul a 10.5 foot camper and tow a 24 foot cargo trailer . I have'nt done any upgrades to the motor just a 3in levelling kit. I was looking at the AFE stage 2 intake, intake manifold and Magnaflow 5in exhaust!! Should i stay with the same brand ??

Thanks,
Ron

Old 12-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Ron,

The AFE Stage II is a great intake, but a word of warning.....you WILL hear your turbo singing. It is a loud intake. I had it originally on my truck before I did the twins and I put the silencer ring back in the turbo because it was so loud.

On the exhaust, I wouldn't do the 5" in your case. Until you start touching over the 500 - 550 HP mark, you really don't need it. Start tossing on something larger than a 66mm turbo (your stock is 54) and then you need the 5" to provide the CFM that the engine is gonna be pushing.

What's your tolerance for noise?....more importantly, are you married and what is your wifes tolerance for noise?

In terms of loudness, the exhaust go like this (from quietest to loudest)

1 - Stock
2 - Diamond Eye
3 - Magnaflow
4 - MBRP
5 - Silverline
6 - Straight Pipe

Let me know of you need pricing on any of those.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
rdculus
Veteran

AFE stage 2 is a good intake. I have the AEM brute force and I like it, althought I wish the Workhorse would have been available when I bought mine. I believe the brute force and workhorse are the same with the workhorse being larger, (more cfm) filter..
I like the dryflow filter.. i hated oiling the previous cai's i had.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:51 PM
AU4x4

just did a CAI on my '04 5.7 CTD. Went with a K&N kit. Can't go wrong there. I've had one on every truck I've owned and their rep speaks for itself. Def makes the turbo sing....pretty much from didn't notice before to....can't be overlooked now. I don't mind it however. I am about to do a straight pipe and take out the silencer ring.....so I'll let ya know how that works out if your interested. Got my kit on Amazon.com. Can't beat the price. The website says it doesn't fit a 5.9L CTD but if you go to K&Ns website...you realize it is the correct CAI sytem. http://www.amazon.com/57-1532-Fuel-I...3095345&sr=1-1 Hope this helps. Good luck !

Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Coal Train
All Star

You didn't look hard enough then, because I can beat the price.....and I'm only a few minutes away from you in Salem.

Personally, I'm not a fan of K&N on anything turbocharged. They just let too much crap through and you can see it on the compressor wheels when you remove the intake or turbo.

They're okay on the track, but on a street driven truck they just let too much crap through. They're only a 3 layer filter.

You're much better off with an AFE Pro Guard (7 layer) or an S&B (8 layer).

The AFE will outflow the K&N any day and the S&B is the top rated oiled filter for stopping the crud.

K&N is WAY over rated.

Last edited by Coal Train; 01-10-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:06 PM
AU4x4

I'm no expert....I'll admit that. Still new to the CTD. Since I already have the K&N intake tube and filter....what would you recommend replacing it with when it needs re-oiling ? and where would I find this specific filter you recommend. thanks for the input/opinion/advice.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Sorry brother, I didn't mean for that to sound like I was knocking ya.....

As for the filter.....I'd replace it. I won't run another K&N on a turbo'd vehicle.

When you get a chance, hold that filter up to the light, you can see through it.

For a replacement, you need to take 3 measurements.....

1 - The diameter of the tube
2 - The length of the current filter (or the max length that you feel will fit)
3 - The diameter of the current filter (or the max diamter that you think will fit)

Then we can get you a filter that will fit your existing hardware.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 PM
jason_blocker
Amateur

Coal Train, Im gonna be in the market for some upgrades here shortly, prolly tax time. My truck is a bone stock daily driver that i pull a gooseneck horse trailer as often as i can to do some hog hunting. Im gonna just assume from joining this forum the best first to do upgrades are an air intake and exhaust. Ive found a used MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust system and several Banks System stuff like the 6gun intake tube and air intake but am a little skiddish of the Banks stuff seems no one on here likes the setup. so will prolly make a deal on the exhaust only. also have a bone stock auto tranny that I cant afford to kill just yet . But any how what kinda price we looking at for the AFE intake. 2006 2500 4wd quad cab 50,000 miles. Sorry to make a short story long

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake for 2004 5.9 Diesel