Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cummins dead pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 09:20 AM
FlWinger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins dead pedal

I have a 2003 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins and whenever the temperature outside gets below 30 degrees or so I experience a dead pedal after driving for 4 or 5 miles. I let it warm up until the voltmeter jumps back up above 14 thinking that may be an issue.
When I get the dead pedal, I have to pull over and update the ECM using the smart tuner. It seems to run fine after that is done.
Truck runs great with warmer weather.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Put it back to the stock tune, and see if the problem goes away.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:30 AM
FlWinger

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Put it back to the stock tune, and see if the problem goes away.
I have tried stock, catcher1 and 3. Only does it when it’s real cold outside. Great all summer.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Will your tuner show live data? If so, I would be real curious what the PCM thinks is going on. Seems like you have a sensor, or something, that is temp sensitive, and failing. Why re-flashing the PCM solves that for a while though, is a mystery to me.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:02 AM
FlWinger

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Will your tuner show live data? If so, I would be real curious what the PCM thinks is going on. Seems like you have a sensor, or something, that is temp sensitive, and failing. Why re-flashing the PCM solves that for a while though, is a mystery to me.
It has Power on Demand but I have never used it. Today I disconnected both negative battery terminals and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I then reconnected them, turned the key on and slowly pressed the gas pedal to the floor, held it for 15 seconds and then slowly released it. I read that this procedure would resync the pedal and TPS or APPS. It sat all day with an outside temperature of around 20 degrees and tonight I took it for a 60 mile drive with no issues. Hoping the pedal resync might have fixed the issue. I will know tomorrow when I go to work🤞🤞🤞🤞

Quick Reply: Cummins dead pedal