Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
Old 08-14-2015, 07:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Diagnostic Guide
Print Wikipost

Transmission Shifting Problems

Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 PM
amercier4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shifting Problems

Sorry in advance for the long post, but I want to be thorough. I have an '03 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 Turbo and a 48RE transmission. Truck has just over 155,000 miles on it. Truck itself is stock, but have recently replaced balljoint, PS pump, water pump, exhaust, several axle/driveshaft seals and U-Joints.

Started having a problem with the transmission shifting over the last 6 months or so. Initially, it would lose 1st gear when starting out from a stop...seemed to be during hot or cold weather. Then the shifting problems started getting more and more pronounced until proper shifting is the rare occurance.

Here are the symptoms:

*Loses 1st and 2nd gear just about all of the time.
*Truck basically starts out and stays in 3rd gear unless traveling at speed and enters 4th gear (and OD) fine.
*When slowing, truck does not downshift into 2nd or 1st.
*When starting from a stop, truck will not shift into 1st or 2nd. Can use shift lever to put truck into 2nd most of the time, but rarely can get into 1st.
*Sometimes feel the transmission kick when stopped like it is hard shifting into 1st, but does not stay in 1st most of the time.
*If I shift into Neutral, then into Drive, it sometimes stays in 1st or 2nd, but rarely.
*Every once in a while, truck will start shifting fine. I routinely drive the truck for work throughout the day and when it shifts right, it continues to shift right until the truck is shut off for any length of time. No rhyme or reason to when it works.

Just changed out fluid and filter and did not seem to have any affect. When changing fluid/filter, did not see anything in the pan except for filings caked onto the magnet. No other pieces observed in the pan. Exposed internals of the transmission seemed in good condition (nothing apparently broken, cracked or work).

I am getting ready to call a few local transmission shops (hate the pricing of the dealerships) and was hoping to try and get a handle on the problem first. Especially if its something that I can maybe fix myself. Any advice you all can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
pizzo
All Star

how does it pull when its in the gears?
sounds like The governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure sensor and Valve body problems. To me but I am no expert on this one.
If not those you have a pressure problem for it not shifting gears.

And if my memory is good I don't think you have a 48re... 2003 is a 47re trans the 48re didn't come out till 2004.5 with the 325 hp engines.

Also you will need to check everything out Grounds and wires too sometime they go crazy if the ground wires are not very good.. grounds are at the batteries and on the drivers fender once that is done take it for a ride see how it is...
once that is done put truck in neutral and parking brake applied and check the fluid again after you replaced it...
hope that helps let us know what you find
Pizzo

Old 03-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Aaron R.

My 1999 3/4 Cummins 4x4 is doing pretty much the same thing. It too has about 155k on it.

I just replaced the gov sensor and solenoid and can tell you that did nothing for it. Still got the same problem; it wants to drive in 3rd everywhere.
If you do decide to get the gov sensor and solenoid you can find them here pretty cheap http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/

Good luck. Let us know what you find. I'm so frustrated with mine I'm ready to sell it.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
pizzo
All Star

Did you both (original poster and Aaron) try doing a band adjustment? If that don't work I would take in to a trans shop...

Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM
amercier4

OK. So I have a new wrinkle...after changing the fluids and filter, when the truck dd shift it seemed to be smoother which is a good thing. However, today it started acting differently on the highway. It seemed to take more power to reach speed (2k rpm to get to 65 when normally it takes 2k to get a little over 70mph), and when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal it feels like I've lightly applied the brake. Not like I've applied brakes to stop, but lightly as if to slow down. The truck itself noticeably slows.

FYI...still taking to the truck to the tranny shop on Monday.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

there is a gm gov pressure solenoid on this page http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

get it and a new sensor minimum... the stock solenoid sucks and is a common weak spot, the sensor also fails but I am not sure how often and it's worth it to do both.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:37 PM
RAMIT222

If you want to get rid of your frustrating problem, I can give you $500 for it.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:34 AM
rocksolid95
Default Transmission Not Shifting to drive.

I have a 06 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 diesel auto. It only has about 20,000 miles on the dodge replacement trans. It just started not shifting between 2nd and drive. It just hold 2nd till trans gets up to about 160 degrees .Then it shifts ok. Can anyone help me with this? rocksolidinspect@gmail.com

Thanks
Adam

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Shifting Problems-2006dodgerammegacab3500004.jpg  
Old 12-28-2011, 02:03 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Did the outside temperature just start getting colder? Is it holding 2nd or 3rd gear? There are 4 gears, not 3 like you are implying. (well, technically there are 3 gears plus and overdrive section.) The computer doesn't allow the shift into 4th and the torque converter to lock up until the trans temp reaches aprox 110 degrees F.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 AM
rocksolid95

It is holding 2nd gear. Once it shifts to 3rd then overdrive works fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting Problems