Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DPF Delete Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPF Delete Installed

Hey y'all, I finally got around to deleting the pesky exhaust stuff on my 6.7L Cummins. I bought these components:

H&S Performance stainless DPF delete kit w/ downpipe - $319
H&S Performance EGT sensor sims - $40
Aero 4040XL muffler w/ resonator - $153
MBRP black 5" tip T5051BLK - $66

A local shop did the install for me. Everything behind the turbo was removed except for the tailpipe. The tech said the H&S kit only had one hanger on it, so he welded on another. I kept the old exhaust stuff just in case I ever need to return it to stock configuration.

I've only put about 75 miles on it since the install, but here are my initial observations:
- The exhaust sound is a little louder than I expected, but it's not harsh or droning.
- EGTs are considerably lower! I have a pyro probe in the exhaust manifold hooked up to an Auto Meter EGT gauge. Cruising on the highway normally generated 800-900 degrees; now it's more like 600 degrees.
- The exhaust brake is not as effective as it was with the original exhaust, probably because it has a lot less back pressure.
- The overhead readout is already showing higher MPG since the engine no longer goes into regeneration.
- The turbo seems to spool up a little faster.

So far I love this modification. The lower EGTs should make the turbo last a lot longer. I'll get back to you guys with what happens to long term fuel economy.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:26 PM
cajuncummins

hey man did all those mods cause your check engine light to come on or did the sims prevent that?

Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Yes, this setup does cause the check engine light to come on, but it was on almost all the time anyway for the past two years. According to H&S, any of the power programmers that can clear DTCs will turn the CEL off.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 AM
cajuncummins

thanks for the advice man, im just new to all these diesel things....want to trick mine out but it makes me nervous ya know? guess im just gunna have to man up n do it haha

Quick Reply: DPF Delete Installed