Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

before I buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:30 PM
sleddicted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default before I buy

Hey, new to the forum, hopefully you guys and gals havent seen this question too many times but here it is:

Looking at buying ( very soon) 2008 2500 6.7l 4x4

looking on the net, and consumer reports, its looking like its not the best desicion.

Im not overly concerned about mpg, it will mostly be hwy, hauling 2 snowmobiles on a sled deck

it has 70000 kms on it (43495 miles) listed at 30000$

have any of you had, or heard of may problems? besides bad milage

it has factory powertrain warranty remaing until 160,000kms
, and I would probably buy an extended.

Is this the first year they started with the new emissions, and having to go into a regen mode ( i think its called?)

if so how often does it go into this, what happens when it does, ect

I think I have heard of people saying these trucks shouldnt idle, But being in canada and snowmobiling i would like to have it running while I load the sleds in white out conditions

Any help would be great as I am looking to make a purchase withink a few days

Thanks
Greg

Old 06-13-2010, 10:26 PM
YAMAHARIDER5
Professional

The new dpf system is gonna be a pain for guys that dont drive highway most of the time. reason being is more soot and ash is created under no load and in stop and go traffic. In order for the truck to go into regeneration on its own it has to be a high tempurater for an extented period of time. At this point the ecm will start the regen process on its own if this doesnt happen becuase temps arent high enough due to city driving a manual regen will have to be performed at the dealer and if you ignore the dpf warning light and dont do anything you will end up buying a new dpf section. theirs several sections to a diesel aftertreatment system first section is diesel oxidation catalyst inlet the second section is the diesel oxidation catalyst (basicly a cataylitic converter) the third section is the diesel particulate filter which is not a flow thru design filter a chemical change takes place here and allows the gasses to pass through it. the fourth section is just the outlet, the most expensive part is the actual particulate filter. the upside is they can be cleaned but its not cheap few hundred bucks. So my advice is if you dont live in an emissions county get a dpf delete kit and throw the thing in the trash, My thoughts on the dpf and aftertreatment thing is the epa blows! The 6.7 is a great engine the only diffrence in the engine from the 5.9 is a slightly diffrent block design not by much. And the vgt turbo along with aftertreatment and egr thats for dodge applications anyway. On 6.7 that dont go into dodges the 6.7 has a rear gear train instead of the front gear train like on the dodge application. I would say if your gonna drive the truck on the highway most of the time the truck will really do a good job. And as far as letting it idle while loading your trailer it wont hurt anything as long its not for hours on end ya know.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Montana Hemi

The previous poster explained the dpf and other emission related items on the 6.7. In regards to your question on when the 6.7 came out it was available on late model 2007's. Second question, I have heard of people having injector and dpf issues, but didn't experience them personally other than less than desirable fuel mileage. I did have to put a few thousand into my truck including cai, cat back exhaust, and a tuner to get my mileage close to what my 06 5.9 was getting. As the previous poster mentioned I also believe dpf issues maybe more of an issue for those that do alot of in town driving or leave their vehicles idling alot and than don't follow it up by running it out on the highway. Although I didn't do alot of in town driving, I would on a frequent bases (two or three months during the summer) leave my vehicle idle for up to an hour or so and than do to the nature of my job drive down the highway for a few hours without any issues with the dpf. I hope this helps.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 AM
sleddicted

so from all the reading I have been doing today, sounds like the truck is solid, just emmisions can be a pain,

Im all about warranty because I have bought 2 used trucks in the past and had nothing but problems... one of whitch was a 98 dodge ram 1500, that went thru 3 motors

since it has factory warranty, and I may purchase an extended, would the "deletes" that I have been reading about void my warranty?

I guess really the deletes, just make it a regular exhusted truck correct?

also this might be a dumb question but are all the 6.7l equipped with an exhust brake?

My truck wont be driven too much, I work in camp so 20 days out of the month im away, but when it is driven, it wont be stop and go

Old 06-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Montana Hemi

I personally wouldn't do the dpf delete until your 5 year, 100,000 mile engine warranty or equivalent Canada warranty was up as it will void the warranty. All 2008 6.7's came standard with engine exhaust brakes although I can't speak of 2007's. Good luck with your truck purchase.