Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

04 Front end noise

Old 01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
TripleA8823
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Front end noise

Howdy all, 1st time poster. First off I have reviewed many internet related problems similar to mine but can't seem to find a solution.

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 cummins, which I plow snow with. Recently when I would engage 4 wheel drive and apply power I would hear a clapping noise, does it in reverse as well. You can hear it best under 40 mph, but the faster I go the more drown out and consistent it gets. I took it into a mechanic and he inspected the front end and said everything was fine. It almost sounds like the transfer case, just speculation. I checked the fluid and its fine but has there been problems within the transfer case with this model? Any ideas?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:45 PM
HemiNow?
Rookie

I had a "sound" issue with my truck and it turned out to be my front universal joints. Was a clicking sound though not clapping

Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site but let me move this over to out CTD section for maybe more help.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 PM
donnyv
Default Cricket sound?

Originally Posted by HemiNow?
I had a "sound" issue with my truck and it turned out to be my front universal joints. Was a clicking sound though not clapping
Ditto here, but it only happens in 4wd. LOL, Mine sounds like a bunch of crickets under the hood. Hoping to get her into the shop soon.

Not to thread jack, but I get a loud clunk sound if I hit the brakes hard as well. Hope it's just from the front U-joints.

donnyv

Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 PM
jstalnaker70
Amateur

just went thru the same problem..while driving keep hearing a constant sound coming from some where (it sounded like the front end)..took a buddy a ride and he said it was coming from behind the rear seats....so we jacked up all 4 wheels and put it in gear...
TA DA we found it...it was the chain in the transfer case slapping around....for me while driving i could of sworn it was coming from the front end...funny how sound will throw you off trying to find it...lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 Front end noise