Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Torque Convertor Locked Up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Jascot81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Convertor Locked Up?

I have a 04 3500 dually cummins. The truck has 70800 miles on it. I tow a 7000lb camper 3 times a month. When I stop at an idle in gear, the truck wants to keep pulling, like I have my foot on the accelerator. If I shift to nuetral, the idle is normal. As soon as I put it in drive, the idle starts to rise and I can here the turbo spinning up. The dealer says I need a new torque convertor. What do you guys think?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:28 AM
lifted 5.9
Default torque convertor locked up

I dont know if u ever got an answer for your problem but i have an 06 5.9 cummins with the same symptos my edge controller shows a 79% load at stops and it will rev really high then drop to normal if u slip it into nuetral. I bought this truck with 70thou, now it has 82thou, have been using to drive from cali to north dakota for work and on my last trip this started happening. I thought maybe it was the edge but unpluged it is the same problem. also it only does this after it is warmed up. Any help with this would be greatly awesome.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that could definitly be the converter, actually almost has to be,when a converter starts to fail, they will grab harder and harder at a stop, which will try to pull the rpm's down, the computer sees this as a low idle and starts adding fuel to keep the idle speed correct...

Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 AM
lifted 5.9

Thanks for the reply. Do they make un aftermarket tq that is better than another, and will i need any special tools to do the swap?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:09 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gorend or suncoast have very reputiable names/products, nothing special, just drop the trans far enough to swap it out, this is also a very good time to replace the TC seal in the trans, that is a must, and i always replace the engine rear main seal while i am in there, make sure you get all the splines engauged fully on the TC or it will cause some major dammage

Quick Reply: Torque Convertor Locked Up?