Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Possible turbo problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Leprechaun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
look for the pump on the side of the engine and see if it is there
I checked to see if i could find the lift pump on the engine and no luck, so im assuming that its in the tank, ive decide on a fuel air separator http://www.klmstore.com/fass-hd-d08-...-150-1008.aspx, becuase the pump is in the tank all I have to do is pull the old one out and install the fass f/a separator right?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 PM
dodgetruck2
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds to me like lift pump, my dads 04 went out and when it did it struggled to acelerate then died and wouldnt start, tried new filter, nothing, towed it to the nearest dealer, (bout 3hrs from home when it happened), they ran a code that said pump failure, cummins warranty required the pump be relocated to the tank from the motor. Cummins paid for everything, even the tow.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:56 AM
polish pete

i assume by now you figured out its most likely the lift pump failing i just need to point this out but you posted saying you made 55,000 kilometers on this truck without doing one service? are you trying to kill the engine? its very hard on a fuel pump to pull then push fuel through something so clogged, reason why your pump might be dead.

and to use one of those pumps you have to mount it remotely on the frame and run new lines, its a very good setup it just might be too much for some people,

Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Leprechaun

Originally Posted by polish pete
i assume by now you figured out its most likely the lift pump failing i just need to point this out but you posted saying you made 55,000 kilometers on this truck without doing one service? are you trying to kill the engine? its very hard on a fuel pump to pull then push fuel through something so clogged, reason why your pump might be dead.

and to use one of those pumps you have to mount it remotely on the frame and run new lines, its a very good setup it just might be too much for some people,
ive had 7 oil changes on the truck since i bought it and the first one i did myself and changed the air filter and fuel filter, how is that trying to kill the engine, i take very good care of my vehicles acutually its just kinda hard to work on a truck when ur working 72 hour weeks with 2 hours drive time every day

Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
dodgetruck2
Captain

I would defuinately put that fass system or an air dog system, because you might want to switch it later if you ever decide to push some major ponys through that truck.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM
dodge626
Professional

hey guys since your talking abut lift pumps on this post i thought i would ask a question or two first i would like to say im looking at a 04 2500 how **** are the lift pumps going bad on this year of truck? i thought i read somewhere after like 02 or 03 dodge started using better pumps on these trucks. this truck has somethings done to it but i dont know if it has the stock lift pump or not

Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM
dodgetruck2
Captain

If its in the tank its been fixed, if its on the motor it probably hasn't. If its anywhere else its aftermarket. My dads 04 went out at about 60K. Like I said cummins covered it 100%. The motors have a 100K warranty.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
dodge626
Professional

well this 04 that im looking at has just over 17.000 miles on it and come to find out while i was emailing the guy today the truck is in Washington and im in new york the guy has this thing set up with an online payment company where i could get the truck after i give the payment company the money i could test drive it and have it inspected by a dealer and then i have 5 days to decide if i want the truck and if i put everything in my name then the guy gets the money from the payment company but now the whole thing is i cant go look at the truck before hand because when i found the truck on autotrader it said it was in Ohio and when i emailed the guy he said he list the truck in many states to try to sell the truck but now i am really Leary to do all of this since i cant see the truck first

Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Leprechaun

Originally Posted by dodge626
well this 04 that im looking at has just over 17.000 miles on it and come to find out while i was emailing the guy today the truck is in Washington and im in new york the guy has this thing set up with an online payment company where i could get the truck after i give the payment company the money i could test drive it and have it inspected by a dealer and then i have 5 days to decide if i want the truck and if i put everything in my name then the guy gets the money from the payment company but now the whole thing is i cant go look at the truck before hand because when i found the truck on autotrader it said it was in Ohio and when i emailed the guy he said he list the truck in many states to try to sell the truck but now i am really Leary to do all of this since i cant see the truck first
How much is the truck listed for? If ur getting it for a really good price theres got to be a reason, people dont just give trucks away.... also iuno about you but i dont think theres many 04s with 17000miles on it anymore. But if i were you I would call a shop close to the truck and get them to go check it out, obviously at a fee, or atlteast ask the guy if someone you send can look at it, and if he gives you some bs reasons why you cant then somethings probably up, also ask for atleast 40 pictures with all the vin numbers on the truck and a mod list and a history of any work done on the truck that he knows of. If the online payment company is western union im 95% sure its a scam

Old 02-24-2011, 10:42 AM
dodge626
Professional

i have decided to not go after that truck there was just something really fishy about it and plus its on the other side of the U.S. so i started looking again and i found another truck im about to call the guy it was on craigslist the other day and i go back to it yesterday and it wasnt there so i was bummed out of course but last night im on cars.com and i found the truck there it didnt have as many pictures of it but it was the same truck so im calling the guy today. if you guys want to see it ill put up the link to it.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Quick Reply: Possible turbo problem