Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2011 2500 idling with door lock control?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM
thirtydaZe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 2500 idling with door lock control?

i'd like to know if it's possible to idle the truck and have control of locking/unlocking the doors.

for instance i want to run into the convenience store, leave my truck running, but lock the doors, is it possible?

can you leave the fob in the ignition, remove the key portion, and lock and unlock the truck at will with the engine running?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe
i'd like to know if it's possible to idle the truck and have control of locking/unlocking the doors.

for instance i want to run into the convenience store, leave my truck running, but lock the doors, is it possible?

can you leave the fob in the ignition, remove the key portion, and lock and unlock the truck at will with the engine running?
Thirty,

You would need to remove the emergency key from the FOB and manually lock and unlock your vehicle. There is no way I am aware of to lock the vehicle with the FOB in the ignition, either running or not, besides manually pushing the button down to lock and using the emergency key to unlock. If you had the other FOB the unlock feature would work on it but I assume you are asking about only using one.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:21 PM
thirtydaZe
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Thirty,

You would need to remove the emergency key from the FOB and manually lock and unlock your vehicle. There is no way I am aware of to lock the vehicle with the FOB in the ignition, either running or not, besides manually pushing the button down to lock and using the emergency key to unlock. If you had the other FOB the unlock feature would work on it but I assume you are asking about only using one.
Yeah that was my question, if i could still get in and out with the emergency key.

Is leaving it idle not common practice in thecold for quick trips into the store?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe
Yeah that was my question, if i could still get in and out with the emergency key.

Is leaving it idle not common practice in thecold for quick trips into the store?

Thirty,

Not that it is not common, but the system is designed to try and prevent people from locking their keys (Fobs) in the car. I had the same problem as I often left my truck running with the air on when I take my dogs with me in the summer. Once I got my remote start it solved this problem as I would lock everything up and hit my remote start upon leaving. This would give me 15-20 minutes without having to worry.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 AM
thirtydaZe
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Thirty,

Not that it is not common, but the system is designed to try and prevent people from locking their keys (Fobs) in the car. I had the same problem as I often left my truck running with the air on when I take my dogs with me in the summer. Once I got my remote start it solved this problem as I would lock everything up and hit my remote start upon leaving. This would give me 15-20 minutes without having to worry.

well definitely looks like after market is the only option. i experimented last night with the emergency key. all it would lock/unlock was the drivers door.

tried to manually lock the other doors with the power lock button, but they would not work.

thanks for all your input.

Quick Reply: 2011 2500 idling with door lock control?