Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Power door locks acting weird

Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM
cdover73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power door locks acting weird

I have an '08 3500 with 6.7. I recently had the DPF deleted and an H&S XRT programmer installed. I run the programmer on the 120hp setting with most other functions at default, but some changes were made to door chimes, auto lock/unlock, etc. Today I noticed my front passenger door lock was not working. I tried the door switch on both front doors and the key fob and nothing worked. All the other ones WERE working. While fooling around with it, I noticed sometimes the other ones started working erratically with the key as well, but nothing like the passenger one. I also bumped the door and the passenger side one would lock sometimes, but never unlock. I have read where broken wires in the door harness was a common problem, but I could not find any. I also read where it could be computer related, which has me wondering if the programmer may have something to do with it, being that it just started since I added it.

I figured the actuator may have went out, but since it would lock when I bumped it I think it may be good, just not getting proper juice all the time...

Has anybody else seen this problem? Any ideas?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Gerry R
Amateur
Default door lock problems

My 01 did the same thing and it took my mechanic close to an hour to find two broken wires in the driver's door, What mine was doing was locking and unlocking the doors as I'm driving and also not letting me lock and unlock with the remote. While I think Dodge makes overall a good truck their skills with electrics is subpar. My 2004.5 has had intermitent glitches with turn signals and the delay feature for the wipers doesn't work right either.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:29 PM
cdover73
Rookie

I will check the wires again. I pulled on each of them with a pair of needle nose and none come loose, but it has to be in the wiring. I hate fooling with electrical, but I will find it.

I also have the intermittent wiper problem. Sometimes, and usually only when its raining, "low" is intermittent, "High" is "low", and "High" doesn't exist. I find that if I firmly push in on the switch (toward the column) and work it around a little they will start working properly.

I agree, I have always been a Dodge man, but they have ALWAYS had electrical issues. I guess every make needs a trademark...GM has a nice interior, but it rattles and falls apart too soon, Ford is a....well, okay, I simply hate a Ford(but I do have to say I admire them for not sticking out their hands for government bailout money), and Dodge has their POS electrical problems. I can live with that, especially when I am literally outpulling the weight of the competition.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power door locks acting weird