Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Buying a 2005 Cummins Dually

Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 PM
freddmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2005 Cummins Dually

I am buying a 2005 Cummins dually on Monday that has 140K km (84K miles). It has been serviced at the dealer since new and also has the front air bags. It has also had fuel conditioner added to the fuel. I previously owned an Isuzu NPR with the turbo 4 cyl. but service on that consisted of regular oil changes and filters, fuel and air filters and not much else.
What should I be looking service wise for this truck. Duty will consist mostly of short trips towing a horse trailer with one or two longer trips per year(7-800 miles) and a little around town use.

Does this truck have the computer and ,if so, what does that entail. Viruses ?LOL

Thanks

Fred Mc.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil changes filter changes, should have had a coolant and transmission fluid change by now

yes it has a very simple computer, no its not going to get a virus. the computer just reads sensors and controls injection events, injection pressure, and timing, grid heaters, etc.

for 1 the computer is not networked to anything so it has no way of getting one without someone plugging into the OBDII port...and 2 it does not store personal data or credit card info nor can it scam you or annoy you to death so there would be no motive or gain for a malicious programmer to make a virus for your truck. your trucks computer is quite safe.

check for steering slop, dodge 1st through 3rd gens are known for it.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by freddmc
I am buying a 2005 Cummins dually on Monday that has 140K km (84K miles). It has been serviced at the dealer since new and also has the front air bags. It has also had fuel conditioner added to the fuel. I previously owned an Isuzu NPR with the turbo 4 cyl. but service on that consisted of regular oil changes and filters, fuel and air filters and not much else.
What should I be looking service wise for this truck. Duty will consist mostly of short trips towing a horse trailer with one or two longer trips per year(7-800 miles) and a little around town use.

Does this truck have the computer and ,if so, what does that entail. Viruses ?LOL

Thanks

Fred Mc.
Fred,

Congratulations on your purchase! If you are looking for maintenance requirements for you can get a copy of the maintenance booklet for the vehicle by visiting:

http://www.chryslercanada.ca/owners/....php?brand=ram

Then simply select your book type, vehicle year, brand and vehicle.

If you have any other inquiries feel free to PM me!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a 2005 Cummins Dually