Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DPF delete, what to buy?what is the difference?

Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 AM
mountaingade
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPF delete, what to buy?what is the difference?

Good morning to all of you diesel mod guys, I will be installing a egr and dpf delete on my 2012 ram 2500 outdoorsman soon and after doing some research, I noticed that there are many different types of system. If someone here can take the time to explain to me and other readers the difference and maybe benefits of all the exhaust out there. Not talking about brands, but rather complete systems. For example, what is the difference between turbo back, non turbo back, down pipes, 4" or 5"... it's confusing. Money is not the issue, getting the best and safe system for the truck is.

Thanks

Last edited by mountaingade; 01-18-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbo back is a complete new exhaust system, non turbo back is just a delete pipe, and down pipe is the pipe that goes from the back of your turbo down to the rest of the exhaust system piping.

4" will fit better than 5" will. either will perform fine. 4" will be a little louder then 5" if you run straight pipe. 5" will have a deeper tone though.

all systems will be "safe" for the truck. I run 5" straight pipe with 5" down pipe since my primary turbo in the compound twins is a S400 with a 5" outlet...figured why choke it down?

factory turbos for 3rd and 4th gens, and most S300 turbos are 4" outlets though so no real need for 5"

Diesels do not require back pressure like all of the gasoline guys would like to believe so you don't need any restriction in your exhaust for your truck to perform properly.

delete that DPF and EGR and your truck should gain a good 4mpg and a bit of power.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Uncle Meanie
Rookie

Hey Jigabop,
I am going to do a cat delete on my 5.9 with 4" exhaust.
I have friends that have done the same and also removed the muffler. They said it can get a little loud at freeway speeds.

I hear the factory muffler is pretty restrictive, but don't want to have it unbearable while towing with the family. They complain enough as is.

Any down side to leaving the muffler in? I have a shop down the road that can do a single pipe cat/muffler delete for around $110 installed.
Thanks.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Jigabop
Champion

it can be a bit restrictive with the stock muffler, and will be slightly louder without the cat.

If you want to keep it quiet but unrestricted, go for a hushpower muffler.

I hear nothing but good things about the hushpowers. (made by flowmaster)

I have always ran straight pipe on my truck since day 1, and it was a bit loud, but I loved it. Now that I have compound twins and 5" it is significantly quieter even though it is still straight pipe. a turbo acts as a muffler (take the turbo off and its louder yet) so having two turbo with one significantly larger in size increases the muffling effect. the engine is much louder than the exhaust at this point. turbos whistles are louder than the exhaust in the cab. My 2y/o daughter loves it she never wants to ride in mommies car. always wants to ride in the truck haha.

Last edited by Jigabop; 01-18-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Uncle Meanie
Rookie

Thanks for the info.

I think I will start with the straight pipe and see how bad it is.
If the whine inside the cab gets too loud (from the family) I'll put in the muffler.
I don't mind loud exhaust. I have a 75 CJ-5 with headers and turbos that has a nice little rumble.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
horatio102
Champion

Originally Posted by Jigabop
Diesels do not require back pressure like all of the gasoline guys would like to believe so you don't need any restriction in your exhaust for your truck to perform properly.

That always makes me laugh. NO engine runs better with back pressure. Zero back pressure is best. However, non-turbo cars are more efficient with good exhaust scavenging, which is caused by good exhaust velocity - not back pressure. Good exhaust velocity comes from appropriately sized pipes. Too big and the exhaust slows down. Too small and it is a restriction and slows down. Back pressure is a higher RPM side effect of choosing the right size pipe for low RPM scavenging. People mistake this side effect for something desirable.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Uncle Meanie, leave the cat in and remove the muffler. I think you'll be happy with the sound; it's not straight-pipe loud, but it has a nice sound to it when you get on it a little. Ran mine like that for almost 5 years before going straight pipe.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Uncle Meanie
Rookie

The reason for removing the cat and/or muffler is to lower EGT's.
I am going to add a programmer for towing (and fun).

Will removing the muffler alone accomplish this. The tougher sound is just a bennefit.

I have not installed the programmer yet, just doing research before dropping the cash on upgrades.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Jigabop
Champion

remove it all! my .02

I love straight pipe.

I live in an area where cops are pretty strict...

I've been pulled over for no license plate lights, and a separate time for no mud flaps.

never a comment from them on the exhaust and she was running the whole time...

I fixed the lic plate lights (bulbs fell out of sockets but were not burnt out)

no intention of putting mud flaps on lol...ran for 5 years without getting pulled over for it and that cop was a young kid pulling people over just to pull people over...(he pulled over the very next car that went by soon as he got back in his car)

so you should be fine legally for straight pipe.

been through emissions with straight pipe too and passed with flying colors. (before the injectors and twins)

Last edited by Jigabop; 01-19-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 AM
mountaingade
Rookie

thanks for all the info, looks like I'm going 5" all the way! now one last crucial questions, who makes the better fit/longest lasting/easy install/best performing turbo back exhaust out there? I was thinking of going with H&S, which I was sure they made but can't find them on there web site.

JIGABOP, that is insane, passing e-test with stright pipe, wow, you have a EGR delete also?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DPF delete, what to buy?what is the difference?