Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Gas to Cummins engine change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM
pcupp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Gas to Cummins engine change?

I own a 2000 dodge 2500 with a cummins diesel in, and it and recently purchased a 1999 dodge 3500 flatbed with a bad gas engine. I'd really like to switch the engine out of my 3/4 ton and put in the 1 ton truck.
I read a thread here that said it was doable but a new wiring harness would be necessary.
Looking info from others who may have done the same, and would sincerely like to know how successful you were and what I should do and/or avoid.
Thank you,
Paul

Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just swap the rear axle, springs, and flatbed over to the 2500? Seems like it would be a hell of a lot easier.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
pcupp

Originally Posted by horatio102
Why not just swap the rear axle, springs, and flatbed over to the 2500? Seems like it would be a hell of a lot easier.
horatio102
I thought about that but wasn't sure the frame would be the same. Is it? If so, that makes more sense. Also, my 2000 is a ext. cab with a 8' bed, and the 1999 is a std cab. with a 12' flatbed. Can you think of anything else I might need to do or consider?
If I can do as you've suggested, it will be the better choice.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

indeed it would...

its more than just swapping engine. you need to swap transmissions, transfer case (if its 4x4) driveline, fuel tank and fuel lines, engine, ECM and PCM, all wiring, dash cluster, swap or replace the exhaust system, change the front springs out to the diesel springs, etc.

it would definitely be easier to swap the hubs and springs, or just the complete axles, and the bed...

or maybe just buy a new motor for your 1 ton? like maybe a 12v cummins so you don't have to deal with the computers and wiring as a 12v has no computer. its all mechanical.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
pcupp

Sounds like great advise. I'm leaning towards just switching out the leaf springs and rear end. I just hope I don't have a 30' long truck when I'm done! LOL

Quick Reply: Gas to Cummins engine change?