Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

stereo install in '08 ram

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:51 AM
wramdude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question stereo install in '08 ram

I'm planning on installing an aftermarket system and was wondering if there is anything special that I need to do? I keep reading about this can-bus thing, is it gonna be problem when I do the install? The system will be everything h/u, speakers,subs,wiring,and amps. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
mastercaster

well, the can-bus is only an additional money problem. you have to have a special wiring harness for the head unit. it will run you from $70-$100 for that harness. you'll also need an antenna adapter ($15), & stereo trim kit. the can-bus wiring harness will also let you retain the accessory power when the key is turned off. outside of those few things, it's no different than any other install. good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

If you buy the head unit from Crutchfield they will give you the trim kit, antenna adapter, and installation instructions for free. They stock a CAN adapter for $70, which is required for your truck.

I recently installed a full aftermarket audio setup in my 2000 Chrysler 300M. I used a Pioneer DEH-P4000UB head unit, Pioneer GEX-P920XM satellite receiver, a Pioneer GM-4300F amp, plus Pioneer speakers in the front doors and rear deck. The whole system was fairly inexpensive, but it sounds great. It was a PITA to install. I love the XM radio and the ability to play MP3s through a USB thumb drive. I kinda skimped by not putting in a subwoofer.

If saving money is not a priority for you, I would go with JL Audio amps and speakers. OnlineCarStereo has really good prices and a great selection of stuff.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 PM
troop
Rookie

I'm not sure what you mean by the can-bus thing if your installing a stereo on a 08 ram 2500-3500 unless you have the navagation system (might be different) you should be fine. I have a JVC touch screen SD/usb/dvd in my truck with soundstream everything. I bought the $15 harness and have 0 problems. I've had this set up on 3 dodge 2500's couple of things when taking the dash apart there is supposed to be two screws where the cup holder should be some have it some don't,sub boxes tens are about all your gonna get the twelves under the seat won't work the boxes will make it sound horrible stick with the ten's. Mounting the amp is a bitch i go behind the passenger side rear seat cut out the stuffing mount it right to the wall otherwise its tuff not alot of room for anything.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
wramdude
Talking stereo install

Thanks for the info guys, it helped solve my problem. Got my stereo finished, it's made up the following, Alpine CDA-9884 h/u, MB Quart seperates front & rear doors, two 10" JL Audio subs, JL Audio 250/1 sub amp, and Alpine MRV-F545 4-channel amp. Sounds great, thanks again for the help.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:14 PM
loneraptor
Red face ram 2500

I had a 2007 ram now got a 2008 meg cab try to use harness I made for 2007 for after market stereo which fine but new truck I get no sound put back stock radio works ok ,truck has no amp .help ??/

Quick Reply: stereo install in '08 ram