Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Looking at a 99 Cummins, comments and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 PM
cmikolajczyk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 99 Cummins, comments and questions.

Hey guys, I've been shopping around. After having to part ways with both of my rams (2001 Single Cab Short Bed V6 2wd & 2001 Club Cab Long Bed 24V Cummins Turbo 2wd). I used the money from the cummins I had to get rid of do to a cracked head, bad cylinder, bad tires, and several minor problems, to get a 04' Yukon XL (A.K.A. GMC made Suburban). I used the money from my 01 V6 Ram to buy myself a 98' Durango 4x4 SLT+.

Bottom line, I miss having a full size truck. I didn't have the option of getting a truck back then, but my durango is a gas hog with the 5.9L V8 Magnum, and it can't preform like my cummins did. I'm doing a lot more trailer pulling, especially a 20ft twin axle bumper pull utility trailer. My durango can pull it like a champ, but it is just too damn short and small, and doesn't handle like an 8,000lb extended cab long bed truck. I want a cummins again, due to the performance, and good mileage, but I'm afraid of the infamous #53 and getting a bad motor.

I came across this guys, a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Lariat Extended Cab Long Bed Cummins 24v I6. I checked it out at the car dealer today, and it was in amazing condition. It had a goofy chrome grille guard, as well as an overly large headache rack made of 2 4in pipes. Flip up goose neck hitch is nice in case I get a newer trailer. The leather is perfect, the dash only has a few cracks, it's already got trailer brakes set up, and it's in near perfect condition. The best part of all, it has just under 110,000 miles. The car fax came back clean, with ONE owner who lived out in the country and babied it. I didn't see the famous #53 on the block, but I might have missed it. Is there a way to look up the block info via the VIN? I'm really hoping it's the stronger mexican mad head versus the brazilian made head.

What do you guys think? Here is their craigslist add of it. BTW, I live in South Central Texas.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ctd/4295945128.html

Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only way to tell is to look at the block.

btw I have a 2000 with 244k miles on it and no cracks in my 53 block.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 99 Cummins, comments and questions.