Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Engine light came on

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:52 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LU229
You only say that because YOU work for a dealership Randy.
Most people prefer NOT to go to the dealer if they can help it.

What does that have to do with you being wrong about the scan tool?

...and who the hell is Randy?

Last edited by TNtech; 03-11-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:34 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNtech
What does that have to do with you being wrong about the scan tool?

...and who the hell is Randy?
Well sorry Mr Know It All, you wernt here to see what transpired..! We`ve tried a couple different ram trucks at several different places with scan tools, and neither truck would let the scan tools work. So MAYBE, its just these 2 particular trucks we tried. I was ONLY going off by what we saw here at our location. It dosent meen i`m wrong either. If it works for everybody else...G-R-E-A-T, glad to hear it...!!!!

Oh yeah, and "Randy" is the pet name a few of us on the forums here have chosen for you...lol

Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by p38251
I have a general code reader. I have no issues getting codes.
Originally Posted by horatio102
My home scanner is the same one that Oreilly's loans out, and I haven't had an issue pulling any generic OBD2 codes. That's the neat thing about a government mandated industry standard. Any OBD2 compatible scanner will be able to pull the generic OBD codes. If you have BCM, ICP, TCM, SRS, ABS, or other module codes the OBD2 scanners won't be able to read those, but you should still see a MIL request code indicating a trouble in the subsystem.

I can't see much in the way of live data on my 98, but then again there isn't much data available on a 12 valve.
Originally Posted by Jigabop
key on - off - on - off - on quickly and leave on without starting the truck. codes should display on the odometer. That's how we do it on the 2nd gen 24v's. I don't think Dodge ever changed that method.

should say P-done when it is finished displaying codes.

These posts above are more than valuable to help the original poster with his problem. These are the types of members AND replies we depend on and appreciate here. This is one of the things that attracts people to this forum. We need more of these. We have a surplus of the other types.

Originally Posted by LU229
Likely chrysler has them locked out now... FORCING you against your will to go back to the dealer so that they can charge you. (which is wrong, VERY wrong...!)

This is not valuable in any way. Now, if you have specific evidence or can demonstrate that this is factual, then have at it. That post in no way helps the original poster. If the other members wouldn't have replied, a member MIGHT be led to think, based on your post alone, that he had no other way to look at his codes except to spend a diagnostic fee somewhere.

You can view it as me defending Chrysler or being a dik if you want. But I see it as you doing a disservice to another member. If you (or any of your secret buddies) think me or any other mods are going to sit by and let it go on, you're out of your flippin mind. There are plenty of other forums you can go spew BS speculation and angst.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-12-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Jeffs64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scanners and Codes

I've been in the automotive business for over 35 years (retired now) and have pulled many codes. But sometimes you won't be able to pull a code. IF there's something wrong with PCM or a bad connector on the OBD2 port. As far as I know any OBD2 should be able to be hookup to a scanner and work. Even a Diesel. My 2010 6.7L Dodge needed to leave the key on first for 10 or so seconds before I could pull a code BTY Mine was P2271 O2 Sensor stuck too rich Bank 1 Sensor 2

Old 03-27-2014, 11:15 PM
tincan57
Captain

TNtech's last response was 100% (I'm a 24 valve 2nd gen guy). K.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suppose I should mention that if you get a P1693, that is a companion code meaning there are either codes in the PCM, or ABS module which would require a more advanced scanner to retrieve. A basic OBD-II reader won't pull those codes, nor will the key trick.

So if you get a P1693 you will need a better scan tool to pull the extra codes, but generally you can pull all codes in the ECM either via the key trick or via OBDII code reader.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Jeffs64
Default P2271 on SCANNER

Here's a PIC This scanner will also give ABS codes. It checked them when I used it

Attached Thumbnails Engine light came on-scanner.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 02:10 AM
Jeffs64
Default P2271 code

Got another active MIL P2271 653 miles after the dealer fix it Returned it to the dealer and this time they actually replaced the O2 sensor that I had told to replace the last time the truck was there for the same problem P2271 code. Will see how long it takes for the code to come back

Quick Reply: Engine light came on