Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 PM
wyomingchad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant

Took my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 for a coolant flush/change. It has 93,000 miles. They put new coolant in which was NAPA Extended Life Dexcool. Part number was NAF 1DEX. Is this the proper antifreeze for this motor?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the green stuff in mine. dexcool is for chebbies. and even with chebbies I flush that crap out and put the green stuff in.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 PM
terb

Originally Posted by wyomingchad
Took my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 for a coolant flush/change. It has 93,000 miles. They put new coolant in which was NAPA Extended Life Dexcool. Part number was NAF 1DEX. Is this the proper antifreeze for this motor?
NO That is not what is recommended by Cummins

Old 04-17-2014, 09:47 PM
wyomingchad

So I took my truck back to the shop and they told me they took out orange antifreeze before when flushing my truck and "any mechanic knows orange antifreeze is always dexcool." I though you could not tell coolant type by dye color? They also blamed napa as they called them with my year, make and model and dexcool is what they brought the first time.

Anyways they reflushed my truck and put zerex back in.
However they did not put the G-05 type in. They put in the zerex extreme extended life heavy duty. I looked on the website and it is a "hybrid organic acid corrosion inhibitor" and it is cummins 14603 approved.

I am so pissed because I assumed they were going to use zerex G-05. Is this other stuff ok? They charged me $100 more dollars because before the only needed 3 gallons of the dexcool but this time they used 7 gallons of the zerex because it is premixed. Needless to say I am done with this so called mechanic.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:22 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory Mopar fill is a reddish HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology). Clearly the people at the shop you went to don't know anything about Chrysler products.

I run Fleet Charge in my truck, the Xerex stuff they put in is good too. Did they refund you the amount they charged you for the Dex?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 PM
wyomingchad

Yes they did give me a credit for the dexcool but charged me $100 more dollars for the zerex. It is red in color.

Quick Reply: Coolant