Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

tow hook install

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:22 PM
49lambert
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tow hook install

I am thinking about putting tow hooks on my '06 2500 CTD. Has anyone here put them on? Does the front bumper have to be removed ? Any help would be great
Thanks
JN

Old 09-09-2006, 02:29 PM
ramtradxb
Professional
Default RE: tow hook install

Easiest way to go is to use OEM Dodge hooks that bolt onto frame at outside edges of "slot" above bumper below plastic trip cap (that covers space between "slot" and bottom of grill).
I tow my CTD sometimes on a tow bar, so also have a class 4 receiver hitch with towing tabs welded onto frame below bumper - but that's a job for the pro's so if you're just looking for hooks to get pulled out of a bog with, I'd stick with the OEM ones.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:12 PM
RustProofCorn
Professional

I thought all the rams came with these hooks.. mine did...[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 09-09-2006, 08:57 PM
RobertDunn
Professional

From what I've seen at the dealership, there is one style of 2500s (type I'm looking at) that don't come with the hooks, I want to say witht he Sprot apperance package...? but not 100%

Old 09-10-2006, 05:07 AM
i11m10c2
Veteran

Yup you have to take the bumper off to install. the kit has 4 L shaped plates, 2 for each side and the hardware not to dificult i did on my hemi mega cab (the one i just traded for CTD) just make sure you line up and mesure so the bumper goes on strait. I used paint marker to mark all the surfaces so that it would be eyesier to reassemble

Old 09-10-2006, 03:40 PM
oldVOR

No, you don't have to take the bumper off.
You can do one side at a time and this will allow you to align the bumper easier since one side will still be tight and aligned.
You will, however, have to loosen the bolts holdling the intercooler and raise it about 3 inches to provide clearance for installing the extra brackets and tightening the hardware. You don't have to remove any of the intake tubes as there is plenty of flex to move the intercooler. The aircondition coil will move with the intercooler and those lines have plenty of flex as well.
I've installed three sets of factory tow rings on 3rd gen 2500 CTD's and they were all Sport models that did not come with them from the factory.

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2006, 03:51 AM
i11m10c2
Veteran

yea i guess you could do it with the bumper on but getting the brackets on is a pain and quicker to move bumper and just because you leave one side thight aint gonna make it line up ,the brackets i had up down ,left to right ,alignment kinda pain to do with bumper on (we had a race in the shop one with bumper off one on ,we did three times ,bumper off little quicker but a lot easier. but just my oppinion!!

there again you dont have to take the bumper off. You could flip truck on its roof and work on it like that i think it would be more chalenging but YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE BUMPER

Quick Reply: tow hook install