Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

"WET STACKING"

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:09 PM
moconst
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "WET STACKING"

Just wondering if letting the 5.9 idle to long will allow it to wet stack or does it clear it self out somehow?

Old 12-30-2006, 11:53 PM
dieselram
Captain
Default RE: "WET STACKING"

Um, I'll speak up for all the dummies here (mainly me), what is wet stacking?

Old 12-30-2006, 11:57 PM
sharx ram
Champion

Adding a power chip to a truck that already has one stacking 1 then the other for more bang for your buck

Old 12-30-2006, 11:57 PM
dieseldan07

i think he means that condensation will build up on the valves and turn into carbon. but most diesels will usually rev up a little so it doesen't happen. i could be wrong though.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:59 PM
sharx ram
Champion

Ive never heard the phrase "wet stacking"...interested in hearinmg what this is my self. [8D]

Old 12-31-2006, 01:27 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Judging from the way the temp guage goes down when it is cold outside if left idleing, I would say yes it is possible for the 5.9 to wet stack.

Wet stacking is unburned fuel coating the cylinders rings and valves and gumming them up to the point that they fail or leak. A diesel engine will get too cool to completely burn the fuel that is injected at idle when outside air temps are very low. Raising the speed will create a little more heat and hopefully avoid this problem. Our engines computer does raise the idle below a certain temp ( I think 20 degrees), but I had the manual high idle feature turned on anyway. If I have to idle for more than 5 minutes I crank it up to around 1200 rpm to try and avoid this problem. I also use the feature during the summer to help keep th A/C blowing cool air.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:13 PM
moconst
Veteran

NickBeek, thats exactly what I was wondering. Just checking becauseI wasnt sure if long Idles would cause any problems. Thanks

Old 12-31-2006, 09:29 PM
dieselram
Captain

So if you do have a long ilding period, would some spirited driving help remove the buildup?

Old 01-01-2007, 02:48 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Extended Idleing will wash down the cylinders causeing scoring of the pistons and cylinders. The fuel washes down the protective oil on the cylinders. The term wet stacking comes from mainly the old detroit 2 strokes. The would have so much unburnt fuel pumped into the exhuast that it come out the exhaust stack (wet stacking). All of the new engines, the electronics will keep it under control so it won't pour out the exhaust, how ever you will still have to worry about scoring cylinders. If all possible, kick up the idle to around 1200 rpm if you have to idle for awhile.