Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Walmart ramps ...

Old 02-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walmart ramps ...

Do any of you guy's ahve those plastic ramps that you see at Walmart? One set is black and is rated to 8000 pounds, and the other is gray and is rated to 12000 pounds. Do any of you guy's use them? If so, which set?

I'm getting ready to change my oil this weekend ( and install my new lever ) and I was thinking about getting a set.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Walmart ramps ...

I woud err on the safe side and snag the 12000 pounders. I have some 4 ton jack stands at home I use just for my dodge.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Mayfair
Legend

That's what i was thinking, but i wanted to see if anyone here had them and was happy with them first. They don't seem that tall ( 6" )

Old 02-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Get Danthetigerfan to fab u up some. Dont let WALLY have all the $$$$ !!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:13 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i needed a set of ramps for my son's honda accord. it only has about 4in of clearance, not even enough to slide in an oil catch pan, much less get your arm and shoulder under it. when i looked at the walmart ones, they were only about 5-6 inches tall. i wanted more height.

so i measured what angle his car would climb without catching on the ramp, which wasn't much, and decided to build ramps 4ft long, with a 1ft flat top and a 3ft angle section. i used 10ft long 2x10in, which is actually 1.5 x 9.5. out of each 10ft piece, i got 4 pieces. in order to have enough width, i used 5 pieces for each ramp, and used a total of (2 and 1/2) 10ft boards. cut them out with a skill saw. screw the first piece to the second with a bunch of drywall screws. screw the third to the second, the fourth to the third, and the fifth to the fourth. now the most important part... you don't want to drive off the end of the ramp, so build a stop on the end of the ramp. i used a couple of 2x4 pieces about 12-13 inches long, and screw them to the end of the ramps so they stick up and create a stop. just make sure that they are not too long, where they hit your front body parts.

you can make them as wide as you want by adding more 2x10's. just be sure they are wide enough to be stable. these things are incredible strong (and heavy), and will last lifetimes. they are plenty tall so i can get under them. since they are solid, nothing will ever overload them.

don't want to go to this much trouble but need more height. ok.. add 1 or 2 boards underneath the walmart ramps, slightly longer than the ramps and angle cut on the end. screw the ramps to the boards w/drywall screws.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:51 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I got the black ones. They work fine. Tried them on the minivan first. Drew, you'll be saying that soon. I have had my Ford truck on them, with no problems. I don't really need ramps for my truck, I can change oil with out them.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

I got the black ones. They work fine. Tried them on the minivan first. Drew, you'll be saying that soon. I have had my Ford truck on them, with no problems. I don't really need ramps for my truck, I can change oil with out them.

LA LA LA LA LA LA. . .I CANT HEAR YOU. . .LA LA LA LA

Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Drew

LA LA LA LA LA LA. . .I CANT HEAR YOU. . .LA LA LA LA
As the old saying goes, I’ve heard that one before†[sm=scared09.gif] [sm=sigh.gif] ROFLMAO

Old 02-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I got the gray ones last night and they worked just fine. I would have liked a little more height, but for now they worked just fine as is.

I thought about the black ones and they probably would have been fine, but the gray ones are a little wider so I went that route.

Here ya go Drew ...

Old 02-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Drew
Professional

I wish I could see the pic. . .dang government computers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Walmart ramps ...