Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Heater Grid

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM
gordo11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Grid

Hello all i have a 06 2500 cummins. Im a recent convert to this engine haveing worked with the navstar product for many a year. My question is the altenator drop hot or cold out. For a couple of mins after starting the volts crank up and down a bit annoying when your not use to it. Im use to glow plugs and relays. I take it the iat is the primary controller for the heat grid circuts. Does anyone have the ohms chart for the iat. I understand when ambiant temp is cold fine ill live with the volt drop but the truck does it in summer weather as well. Is the Iat cleanable as per map/maf sensors. Allso the Heat grids ohms would be nice to know.
Thanks in advance Ex Ford guy.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the switch,

its completely normal for the voltage fluxuations at any start up condition, and yes the ait sensor controls the grid solenoids, and will continue to cycle them untill the desired temp is reached, i'm not sure on the ohm's or the range, but i doubt you have a problem

Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post... I was just about to post this exact question.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Geezir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely normal. The heater grid draws about 110amps so it's completely normal for the voltage drops.

Voltage drop is just something to get used to. It's not overly annoying at all and only happens for the first 5 minutes or so.

Quick Reply: Heater Grid