Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

best year cummins

Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM
thegtproject
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best year cummins

Im in a position where I have to act fast to pull this off so let me get straight to it...

i know very little about diesel, but have a burning desire to get one.

i have a chance to move from my hemi 1500 to a 2500 diesel this week.

i know there is alot of differences in the years of the cummins so i need someone to break it down to me, what to expect with what years of the cummins, or essentially what is my best bet.

i dont really care about towing, just want to lift and mod for performance

I kind of wanted a 2007-2008ish Is the DPF/ERG really all that bad? or should i go with an 05-06 ?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO you are buying a diesel for all the wrong reasons.

I'm concerned a goal high on your list is to 'roll some coal' which is the cause of public distaste for our vehicle's engines.

If you do not have a load to tow, you'll end up spending $1000's on maintenance down the road that with your Hemi, you wouldn't have to bother.

A diesel is a work/travel/hauling machine. Yes, they can make huge amounts of power as Cumminalong has proven over and over, but the reality is you still need to work them regularly.

Stick with Gas!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
thegtproject

valid opinion yes, but im not after "rolling some coal" promise I live in Colorado, running jeep trails is a normal weekend for me when im not loading up my dirt bike and going trail riding or camping. driving 3 hours through the mountains almost every week is why i want a diesel, i just also want to look good doing it

Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

I appreciate your view on the smoke issue. I have taken Diesels 4x4ing and honestly, I'd rather have a lighter truck that shares common fuel with fellow 4x4ers. The weight of the diesel engine on the front, creates much more downforce when dropping the truck off rucks, ruts and such and can cause a lot of damage that a lighter gas engine would not. If you want a solid front axel, then go with a 2500 with a HEMI, although you'll likely be into the single digits for fuel mileage at times. In the Military, we had both Diesel and Gasoline trucks, and for 4x4ing, the Gas trucks were prefered 9/10 of the time.

If you are buying a diesel for economy, you will need to find a DPF-Deleted truck, or an older 5.9 preDPF generation truck. I just got back from a trip where a buddy ran the same truck as me, but 4th Gen, and I could not believe how much fuel he burned through. You can thank the environuts for that one. Towing a 5000lb trailer, he blew off 3/4 of a tank in 250kms! I tow my travel trailer (4500lb dry, 6000lb max) and can easily make Red Deer from Fort Mac on 3/4 of a tank.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 PM
thegtproject

Thanks for the info. Unless there is some substantial reason to go DPF-deleted 6.7 that im not seeing, it appears the 5.9s are quite pleasing as is. And if that's correct I think im leaning towards an '06 2500 quad cab.

As far as 4x4ing goes, i dont do anything crazy, no big drops or anything. just like playin in the mud so to speak. road trips are going to be fantastic in a diesel!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 PM
horatio102
Champion

Just be aware that you've got about a thousand pounds MORE weight sitting on the front axle than you do currently, and when you get stuck, it takes a LOT more truck/winch to get you unstuck.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Lol Horation.. ya, that's another reason we gravitated to the Gas trucks in the military. We always had a diesel come with us to act as a recovery vehicle, but when it came to beating the s*it out of them, the Gas trucks were always prefered by us, and our superiors.. its cheaper to fix a gas truck, less out of the budget!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 AM
thegtproject

haha yeah, i love the no-bullsh!t appeal of the diesels... when **** needs to get done, call in the cummins

i just sold my dodge charger, so now i just need to find the cummins that's just right for me I keep staring at every one that drives by with jaw half open

Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

There is an inherent natural appeal to the ctds isn't there.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Curious how your search is going?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best year cummins