Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Front brakes locking up

Old 09-07-2004, 10:18 AM
89dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brakes locking up

After sitting for 2 months, I took my 1989 4 wheel Dakota out for a ride. The brakes didn't seem right. After 5 minutes of driving, the front brakes, both sides were smoking. I went back home and jacked up the front and both front wheels would not rotate. After an hour of sitting the wheels spun freely. Has anyone run into this problem before? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:07 AM
santrious
Default RE: Front brakes locking up

I had the same problem on a 2001 dakota,I also have a pulsating feel from brake pedal,[ul][*] [*] [*]
[/ul]

Old 03-16-2005, 01:24 PM
jgeddes

I have the same problem with a 1996 stratus. Where the front brakes are fine for about 5 min then they lockup and after a period of rest they are fine again. Dd anyone find a solution to this and what was it? I'm guessing that I need new calipers, However, I find it odd that both are siezing at the same time.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Leadfoot

What you need to do is take the calipers off and take the pins out and free them. All they need is some new grease or if that doesn't work, you can rebuild the calipers or buy new ones.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:44 AM
jgeddes

Thanks, I greased the pins and the problem is still there. So I will try replacing the calipers.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:42 PM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

on our dakota, when we had the pulsating breaks.. we had to buy new discs and bread pads... i guess they warped and were very scratched up..

Old 03-23-2005, 01:10 AM
914dakota
Professional

Also check the brake hoses for cracks they can be a culprit for locked up brakes.

Old 06-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Bill Y.

I had a similar thing happen on another make of truck. But they all function about the same way. I my case, the fronts started getting hot during stop and go driving. Sometimes, by the time I got home, they would be smoking. On the road, you didn't notice any problem (they stayed cool). Because both fronts were getting hot, I blamed the master cyl. Replacing it was no help. I read somewhere that brake hoses could deteriorate on the inside causing restrictions. Replacment was no help. Finally replaced the calipers and problem went away. The calipers, after more than 100k miles, just woudn't retract like they should even though the sliders were lubed and the pistons seemed to be free and smooth operating.
Bill

Old 07-27-2005, 01:50 AM
tenntech
Professional

Take the vehicle out and drive it again until your brakes begin to lock. Raise the front wheels off the ground and make sure they won't turn. Loosen the bleeder screw to relieve any pressure. If the wheel will turn after loosening bleeder it is probably either rubber brake lines or master cylinder. If wheels are still locked, the brake calibers need to be replaced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front brakes locking up