Dodge Dart The Dodge Dart forum is the place for all Dart 2013+ Owners Discussion

real dodge dart mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Growlor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You must be misunderstanding me

I wasn't complaining about the premium fuel or the MPG. I was well aware of the fuel requirements when we bought it and LOVE the milage we get with it. What I was trying (and failing) to say was that we live in an area that makes all vehicles give absolutely miserable milage and the Dart is still getting at least 25 MPG (compared to like 18 MPG for her previous car - a PT cruiser convertable.) To me that is pretty darn impressive.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Hand calculate. Going off what the display says isn't usually realistic. Close? Can be. But I assure you, my truck has never gotten 40mpg, yet I had the display say exactly that...

Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Basolisk

59mpg.... All of the auto makers, not just Dodge will give you the best case scenario rating for fuel millage. Even the Honda Civic won't do what they claim and it is arguably the best MPG car in it's class. I look at what they claim and cut it down to about 60%-70%, and that peoples will be the "real world" gas millage. So if Dodge is claiming 59mpg, I would say your looking at 35mpg on the highway and most likely about 27-29mpg city. Of course every ones driving habits will change the out come of this. Grandma will get way better millage the Mario Andretti

Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by steak59
I don't think there are anything a lot better out there unless she gets a Prius or a TDI Jetta, which is a lot more expensive.
Most of the Darts I've seens display around 30-35 MPG on Average in the Cluster. I get about 28 MPG on my 06 Corolla, which has 50 less horse power and weights 500 pounds less.

If you think Dodge is a big liar when it comes to MPG, you must have not heard the News about Hyundai/Kia got nailed by EPA regarding their false advertising.

Canada must have a different way of rating their MPG, in US, Dart is advertised as 31/39mpg
Ford is in trouble too for lying about the Fusion hybrid and CMax MPG's. Nobody is getting the anywhere near MPG they were advertising.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM
gutty96
Veteran

The 59MPG that Dodge is claiming in Canada is based on a 4.55 litre gallon, not the 3.8 Liter gallon used in the USA.

Yes, I did mean to spell them both ways.

For what it is worth,I am defiantly considering picking one up for a computer. I spend $7-8000 on gas a year in the RAM, and could stand to spend a little less. Oh ya, I would NOT be getting rid of the RAM too though, before anyone panics.

Last edited by gutty96; 03-07-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it is worth, I had a Dart Limited test car for a week with the 1.4 turbo and dual clutch transmission. It is supposed to hit 27 around town, 37 on the highway and 31 average. When I drove the car reasonably - driving within 5mph or so of the posted speed limit - I averaged right around 30mpg over the course of a tank. I also found that when I figured out actual fuel usage divided by miles driven, my numbers were very close to those on the driver info display.

That being said, much of my driving is traffic free on open roads with very few stop lights, etc. When I set the cruise at 65 (the speed limit in many areas), the Dart was able to get up around 37mpg when only driving on the highway. When I was driving it harder on the highway..like 75-80mph, I was getting closer to 34-35.

The biggest advantage that I have is that i rarely run into traffic when im around town and I have NO hills in my area. All of the driving that i do is flat. However, for someone like Bone33 (I grew up in the general area where he lives), there are lots of stop signs, lots of hills and few open roadways so I would not expect to hit anywhere near those numbers. Also, I found that when I drove the car hard, the turbo really eats up alot of gas. If you run it hard, youre not going to get anywhere near the EPA figures.

I will be driving a Ford CMax in a few weeks...Im interested to see what it can get. I averaged 108mpg with the Chevy Volt.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 PM
SirMaru

I only have 260 miles on my odometer at this moment in time and only drive a couple of times per week almost always locally. Plus, on the first fill cycle I was running it at zero mpg in the driveway for a couple of weeks to learn the voice commands and experiment with the features.

With all that my current fill cycle is running 19.2 mpg average. My first fill cycle showed 17.5 mpg (I was running it in the driveway to learn the commands) and it calculated to 14.3 mpg when I used the actual miles driven divided by the actual gallons purchased to a full tank. Evidently, the car only calculates moving mpg and does not average in stationery mpg (always zero).

My round trip is usually 6 miles or less. The one time I went on a highway with a round trip of 15.7 miles during my first fill cycle the car showed 28.3 mpg.

For my current fill cycle (the second) I have a moving average speed of 18 mph and a top speed of 43 mph.

I keep all these stats in an excel spreadsheet including my tire pressures measured by the tire sensors at the first stop sign in the morning. My tires are rated at 34 psi and after 2 months of owning the car they are still at that level plus or minus 1 psi.

I own the Limited Edition with the 2.0 liter engine and use regular gas per the advice of the manual for my engine.

Last edited by SirMaru; 06-15-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm hoping you're getting better than 14.3mpg... I get 14-15mpg out of my 5.2Ram with a blown plenum gasket.

Our Dart SXT 1.4T is getting an average around 34mpg (~2000 miles on the clock)... and we're enjoying the get up and go, so could easily do better if gentle on the right foot.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 AM
SirMaru
Default MPG may be low under 1,000 odometer miles.

Originally Posted by Spillage
I'm hoping you're getting better than 14.3mpg... I get 14-15mpg out of my 5.2Ram with a blown plenum gasket.

Our Dart SXT 1.4T is getting an average around 34mpg (~2000 miles on the clock)... and we're enjoying the get up and go, so could easily do better if gentle on the right foot.
You have over 1,000 miles on the odometer while I have under that amount. That may also be a factor. Plus, you probably average higher speeds than me. I average only 18 mph moving speed.

Finally, at the end of each round trip I record all those stats from the EIC to my spreadsheet which uses gas in stationary mode at zero mpg. I like to keep the stats and am willing to use a little extra gas to do it.

Since I drive so little, in the last 12 months my fuel costs were only $ 274 making it a negligible factor in my total automobile budget regardless of the mpg I achieve.

By the way, is that 34 mpg number coming from the EIC or from a calculation of one of your trip stats for miles travelled divided by the actual gallons you used on your last fill to full tank? The calculated number is probably far less than the EIC number since the latter appears to only measure moving mpg and does not average in stationery mpg which is always ZERO.

Last edited by SirMaru; 06-16-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SirMaru
...By the way, is that 34 mpg number coming from the EIC or from a calculation of one of your trip stats for miles travelled divided by the actual gallons you used on your last fill to full tank? The calculated number is probably far less than the EIC number since the latter appears to only measure moving mpg and does not average in stationery mpg which is always ZERO.
An iPhone app, taking miles traveled since last fill up, and gallons to fill up.
I can do a lot worse if I play race car driver ;-)

Quick Reply: real dodge dart mpg?