Dodge Dart The Dodge Dart forum is the place for all Dart 2013+ Owners Discussion

Steering wheel controls/horn issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Mopar2008
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel controls/horn issues

Hello I have a 2013 Dart SE. To begin with my problem the radio controls on the steering wheel stopped working, but the phone and cruise controls still worked. So I disconnected the battery and took the air bag out to see if there were any loose connections in the steering wheel. I I unplugged the one connector from the steering wheel wiring to the clock spring and plugged it back in. (cruise, horn, radio, and phone all get wired in one self contained harness in the wheel and plug into clock spring). I then put the wheel back together and connected the battery. Once I conneced the battery the horn went on and stayed on. The only way to get the horn to stop going off was to disconect the steering wheel harness from the clock spring. I took the car to the local Dodge dealer where I bought the car and explained everything I just did here. The car has 48,000 miles but I got the extended warranty so they said should only be $100 for decuctable and repair the car. After having the car for two days they called and said that their "electrical guys" concluded it was the clock spring but it isn't covered under extended warranty and the part was $176 plus additional hour of labor. I told them thanks but no thanks and bought a genuine mopar clockspring myself and installed it. The new clock spring did not fix the issue. So after a little over $200 in a part and "diagnostic" by supposed electrical guys at a Dodge garage I still have the same problems. I have read this could be a possible BCM online or I was thinking the wiring harness in the steering wheel is shorted out? Any ideas? Thanks

Quick Reply: Steering wheel controls/horn issues