Dodge Dart The Dodge Dart forum is the place for all Dart 2013+ Owners Discussion

Damaged Data Link Connector - Dealer Error Or Aftermarket Starter Installation Error?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:56 PM
SillyGirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Damaged Data Link Connector - Dealer Error Or Aftermarket Starter Installation Error?

I bought a 2014 Dart in October 2014. It's been great, but the other day the touch screen completely shut off while driving so I made an appointment for service. When I brought it in they said in their notes:

"inspected fuse 21 in under hood PDC. Fuse is good. Checked B+ at Data Link Connector. Found wires spliced into connector from aftermarket remote starter and damage to the Data Link Connector"

They told me the damage was due to the installation of the remote starter, that there was a bent probe where they spliced the wires for the starter and because of that, they were unable to run the diagnostic to find out when I had the touch screen issue originally reported.

So naturally, I brought it to the people who put in the starter. He checked it all out and made some very valid points, in my uneducated opinion. The first being that after he and my boyfriend, inspected the area the dealership was referring to, it was obvious this wasn't even near where the wires were spliced in for the starter. The second point being that he had no reason to plug anything into that prong, whereas the dealership who required it as a ground to run the diagnostic did.

So I guess, I'm looking for input. Trying to get all my ducks in a row before I contact the dealership again on Monday. If anyone has any knowledge or experience on either the Dart end or the aftermarket starter end they are willing to share, it would be very much so appreciated.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

All I can offer is the dealer will now try to blame everything on the fact that an aftermarket system was installed by a someone besides a Dodge dealer. It's going to be up to you to prove the aftermarket starter has nothing to do with the problem you have now. Good luck and post back the results of the dealer trip.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:14 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Nobody can speculate on what the installer did or didn't do. However...splicing into ANYTHING on the data link connector is a really dumb thing to do and likely someone lazily looked for a hot wire to tap into without doing their homework.

I doubt your radio problem is related to that splice though. There are a few bulletins and star cases concerning the blank radio screen.

Last edited by TNtech; 04-17-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:10 PM
SillyGirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is where I'm at...

First I want to thank you both for responding. Just having someone to bounce this around with is helpful, even more so that you all here have so much experience and knowledge!

Phew... I've learned a lot about my car and remote starters in the last week or so!

One thing I forgot to say in my original post is that even the service guy at the dealership, couldn't say enough good about the place where I had the starter put in. He said over and over to both myself and my boyfriend (he called the dealer after getting the news) how surprised he was that we had a problem and how great a job the starter place always does. They are well known in the area for being the best. I know several people who have used them. Only one ever had a problem, which also turned out to be a dealership issue.

I contacted the starters manufacturer and requested the installation manual, which they graciously provided. I can upload it if anyone wants to check it out?

The remote starter is spliced into the back side of (what I now know as) the OBD2 Connector at Data Link Connectors 6 and 14. It looks great. Not messy or sloppy. I keep trying to find a reason he may have had to stick something into the damaged DLC but the more I learn, the less likely I feel the problem was the starter installation?

The damage is to Data Link Connector 16 which is only two DLC's to the right of #14 but when you look at it, there was just no reason for the starter guy to be messing with that. It really does look as though someone would have had to poke something in there to damage it. It couldn't be done just by touching or holding it?

I went online and watched videos on youtube of guys using OBD2 scanners, it looks like that plug pops on the OBD2 pretty easy?

Is there a way to attach the scanner to the connector wrong and bend that prong? Could it have just plain been a faulty part?

The car is due for a couple updates which should fix the touchscreen issue (I hope. I've read that it can be a bit of a pain) but they won't run the diagnostic until this is fixed. They said they can't because it messed up the ground? Is that what DLC 16 is or is that because of the splice?

Thanks again guys... You made my day

Quick Reply: Damaged Data Link Connector - Dealer Error Or Aftermarket Starter Installation Error?