Dodge Dart The Dodge Dart forum is the place for all Dart 2013+ Owners Discussion

Rear leaf spring sag fix with longer shackles?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:50 PM
DLJ
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rear leaf spring sag fix with longer shackles?

Hi folks,

Just after posting I realize this forum is for the new Dart, mine is a 40 yo, can't figure how to move to the vintage section, sorry for any inconvenience...

I'd really appreciate some input from forum gurus once I am in the process of pushing my 1976 4 door Dart (318 V8 / A904-LA) out of the garage after quite a long sleep. I've fixed a bunch of stuff but the list keeps growing...

My question is about adjusting this 4 door dart riding height. I am quite sure the rear leaf springs did sag quite a bit.

Front height is easy to adjust once it's got torsion bars but I think the rear bumper should be about 2 inches higher than it is now after 40 years.
Here where I live there are no parts and mechanics are really my last option, now question is, could I fabricate a pair of longer shackles, something like 1" or 1.5" longer than stock to set the rear height where it should be without having issues with pinion angle, vibration, etc...

Rear leaf springs shackle as is 40 years

I'll post pics but having some trouble with that right now...

My other option would be take the leaf springs to be re-arched but I want to avoid that as much as possible, the car is just a weekend short rider now.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DLJ; 04-25-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: text correction
Old 04-25-2016, 08:29 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

If possible,get them re-arched-rebuilt.40 yrs old there due.Longer shackel will be a bandage for what it really needs,rebuilt.Just a thought...........

Old 04-25-2016, 12:50 PM
DLJ
Amateur
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cruzer55
If possible,get them re-arched-rebuilt.40 yrs old there due.Longer shackel will be a bandage for what it really needs,rebuilt.Just a thought...........
Thanks CRUZER55. I know it would be better that way but I'll have to find new brackets and rubber to reassemble, maybe bushings too, i don't want to replace all parts, just what really needs to be done because I have to import all parts and that is really costly... Once I seen quite a few cars with longer shackles I am just exploring that possibility...

Old 04-25-2016, 03:54 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

Get rid of the hard rubber and go with Energy Suspension or any polyurethane bushing.Puts the new car feel back into the ride along with better handling.Import parts,how far away from city or town are you ?

Old 04-25-2016, 08:48 PM
DLJ
Amateur

Your suggestion would be the best option but once this car is moving around 50 mi/mo, my goal is just keep it alive, rear suspension is not bad just 1 or 2 inches low, all that stuff I can buy on ebay and have it delivered down here in Brazil, it will cost me about 4x more... I've done some tranny work VB, filter, fluid, bands, cleaning, ATF+4 cost me about US$ 80/quart by the time it is delivered here.
This Dart was my 1st set of wheels, bought it in 1982, I want it to survive and look str8 as much as possible without having to do a whole project. It runs fine.
I guess if I take the leaf springs off to the shop they can re-arch them good, my concern would be with the spacers, brackets that may break, rubber, bushings, these are cheap in the US but costly down here. I really don't want to mess with that now once it looks ok and suspension is not noisy, I'll have to go for new shocks soon, maybe better run low...
Thanks again

Old 04-25-2016, 08:51 PM
DLJ
Amateur

Get rid of the hard rubber and go with Energy Suspension or any polyurethane bushing.Puts the new car feel back into the ride along with better handling.Import parts,how far away from city or town are you ?
Thanks CRUZER55!

Old 04-26-2016, 12:00 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

I was just informed by a friend that you might check with a taxi co shop.They may be able too help you out.Worth a shot............

Old 04-27-2016, 03:43 PM
DLJ
Amateur
Thumbs up

I was just informed by a friend that you might check with a taxi co shop.They may be able too help you out.Worth a shot............
:icon_ idea:THANKS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear leaf spring sag fix with longer shackles?