Dodge Dart The Dodge Dart forum is the place for all Dart 2013+ Owners Discussion

Please help so I don't get fcked

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Audrina Kress
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help so I don't get fcked

Hi! I have a 2013 Dart Limited with about 100,000 miles. I started feeling a vibration at 50 mph+ so I took it in to the dealer where I bought it. I was told that it is my transmission that is causing the vibration and it would need to be replaced (or buy a new car). I know nothing about cars or mechanics, but this feels wrong to me. I threw it in neutral on the highway to see if the vibration would stop...it didn't.

I guess I'm just looking for some opinions on this...thanks!

Old 05-24-2021, 04:09 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Audrina Kress
Hi! I have a 2013 Dart Limited with about 100,000 miles. I started feeling a vibration at 50 mph+ so I took it in to the dealer where I bought it. I was told that it is my transmission that is causing the vibration and it would need to be replaced (or buy a new car). I know nothing about cars or mechanics, but this feels wrong to me. I threw it in neutral on the highway to see if the vibration would stop...it didn't.

I guess I'm just looking for some opinions on this...thanks!

At 100,000 miles, you are out of warranty.I'd find an independent shop to look at it. Since you took the transmission out of gear at speed, I don't think it's the transmission. Have someone follow you and look at your tires and wheels. They should roll smooth. If there is a wiggle, you may have a bent rim or bad tire. If one is bouncing, your shocks and struts need repair. Your car is not worn out unless you drive like Mr. Magoo. I recently rebuilt the suspension on a PT Cruiser with about your mileage. I took care of the worn parts, aligned it and it drove smooth and quiet like a new car. You'll need to spend some money on the car, yes. It's still cheaper than a car payment. Especially if you like your car.

Find a shop that is BBB accredited. They will have several cars out front but they will always be different cars. With your car being reasonably new, one owner and I'm sure it's otherwise in good shape, they will fix the vibration and jack the price up. Used cars are selling fast because of a computer chip shortage. Your car wouldn't last 5 days on the lot. A good repair shop will probably find the vibration, a few other things that need attention and your car will be like new when you get it back.

Things I would look for would be worn struts and shocks, drive axles with a bad CV joint, a damaged wheel or rim, or worn front end components like tie rod ends. It might be one or more of these things or something else. Just find a good shop that doesn't want to get your car cheap and mark it up. Say you need $1000 worth of work. It's still cheaper than a new car and probably wouldn't cost that much. Your actual repair needed might be around $300. One car payment and you're back on the road.

Quick Reply: Please help so I don't get fcked