Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 PM
metalaxeman88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam

I have recently heard a knocking noise in the top side of my motor, so my father and I decided to take it apart to see what was making this noise. We took the head cover off, and discovered the cam followers had been chewing into the cam , making a high ridge on either side of the lobes,this wasnt allowing the valves to open all the way since the lobes were worn down, so Long story short, I am buying a new cam and followers, Thinking about gloing with a Comp Cam with a .499 lift, it is made for turbocharged chryslers. Any opinions on what kind of power increases I can expect.Low end, High end or what.Supposedly the car has a .450 lift cam in it but it is says OEM right on it, but Im not sure if a Mopar performance cam would have that there.

Old 09-18-2004, 12:20 AM
87Indy500
Veteran
Default RE: Cam

Save your money and get a stock 88 2.2 TBI cam. They are by far the best upgrade for the 2.2 turbo motor for street use. You could even pick one up at the bone yard if you want for cheap. That's what I've done many times. The stock roller cams don't wear at all. All I did was clean off some of the carbon build-up with a 3M scotchbrite pad and inspect everything before I dropped it in. The cam operation is much quieter also.

Old 09-20-2004, 02:20 AM
js87z
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a quick question my 87 some how or another busted the the stub off where the cam gear is atttached to it busted off when i was checking the tension i would have it running if it was not for this little peolbem i will be leaving over seas in about a couple of weeks and i want to get it running before i leave i just need to know if the stock 2.2 cams in all the years are the same and if the stock 2.5 cams or the same i have the ability to get both them from the bone yard where i got the turbo fromor would it just be a just i little more for i brand new onei just need a qiuck fix but if it is only going to cust a little more i might as well go with new right?

Old 09-21-2004, 08:55 PM
metalaxeman88
Professional

Not all of the 2.2 cams are the same, the lifts are different some have .430's and some have .460's. I would buy a brand new one from ace auto parts made for your year, about 82.00 bucks, I just checked on one for mine.