Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Door Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:35 PM
wallygator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Problems

This must be a common problem, so I hope I can get some help. I have two Daytonas, a 1988 Daytona and a 1989 Shelby. I am having problems opening the drivers door with the outside door handle. The previous owner of the Shelby wired the rod from the handle to the top of the door handle to keep tension on it so it would open from the outside. If I put tension on the other Daytonas door latch rod it will open from the outside too. Is there a know fix for this or at least a "fix" for it. Thanks for your time.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:46 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Door Problems

I had this problem with my '88 Shelby Z's passenger side door, it wouldn't open from the outside. I had wrapped a wire around some part of the assembly inside the door to get part of it in place to function again, but that was several years ago and it eventually became harder to use. It still functions to this day though. If I still had the car I would take pics of it to show you exactly what I did, but I no longer own it.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:22 PM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran

There is an adjustment on the linkage. You have to take the 3 torx bolts out, remove the linkages from the latch and have the door skin off - pita. I've had to do 2 tons so far.

Old 10-17-2004, 01:58 AM
wallygator

Alright, It works like new now. Heres what I did, removed the door catch from the car. Three torx screws and undo the linkages and out it came, VERY easy. Cleaned all the gunk off it with carb cleaner, degreased it and blew it dry with compressed air. The adjustment screw was a small allen head bolt that I adjusted up about 1/2 inch. Lubed the catch and reinstalled it and it works just like new. Thanks for the tip GTCandGTSturbo. Next Saturday I am going to do the same thing to my shelby and get rid of the "baling wire fix" and fix it correctly.

Quick Reply: Door Problems