Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 07:04 PM
dclubin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump

Any suggestions on bleeding a 1989 Daytona ES? Fluid is frothy/bubbly and pump is whining. Thx!

Old 02-17-2020, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Jack up the front, both tires off the ground. Top off the power steering fluid. Engine off, turn the steering wheel lock to lock 3 or 4 times. Recheck fluid. Start the engine, turn steering lock to lock a few times. Turn off engine. Check fluid, if its frothy, let it sit for 30 minutes or so, then top of the fluid, start it up, and crank it lock to lock a few more times. Keep doing that till the fluid no longer gets frothy.

I have a pretty dismal view of the aftermarket power steering pumps. I went through three of them, before I got one that actually worked, and it still whines...... New pump, new rack, new pressure line......

The following users liked this post:
cooler (07-06-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 07:37 PM
dclubin

Thank you! I will give that a try. From what I have read, however, that typically can occurs if there is a break in a seal or PS pressure line where the pump will draw air into the system. Thoughts? Also do you know if there is a drain or bleed valve on the pump that comes with this Daytona? Thank you.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

No drain or bleed valve I am aware of. And the only place there should be suction, is where the pump is drawing from the reservoir. Not sure how the setup is on yours, haven't seen a Daytona in years around here..... but, if you have a significant enough leak, that the pump can draw air though, then it would likely drip fluid when the engine WASN'T running as well...... I would think......

When you replace a pump, or line, there IS going to be air in the system, it can be a real pain to get it all purged out. Patience is the key.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:09 PM
dclubin

Originally Posted by HeyYou
No drain or bleed valve I am aware of. And the only place there should be suction, is where the pump is drawing from the reservoir. Not sure how the setup is on yours, haven't seen a Daytona in years around here..... but, if you have a significant enough leak, that the pump can draw air though, then it would likely drip fluid when the engine WASN'T running as well...... I would think......

When you replace a pump, or line, there IS going to be air in the system, it can be a real pain to get it all purged out. Patience is the key.
thanks again. I will try your first recommendation first. The only thing I did recently was change the power steering belt. That really shouldn’t have an effect on air in the system.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

No, it shouldn't.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:25 PM
dclubin

Originally Posted by dclubin
Any suggestions on bleeding a 1989 Daytona ES? Fluid is frothy/bubbly and pump is whining. Thx!
One last question. On your method you suggested, should the reservoir cap be open during that entire process with the car off and on…?

Old 02-18-2020, 06:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

When the engine isn't running, you can leave the cap off, with the engine running though, I would be inclined to leave the cap on. Fewer surprises that way.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump