Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

'86 Daytona Turbo Z Improperly stored

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:00 PM
rbdetails
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 Daytona Turbo Z Improperly stored

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some help, without being admonished for improperly storing my '86 Daytona. Well over 16 years ago, possibly close to 20, I had to move my car to a rented storage unit, with the plan of occasionally getting it out to enjoy. Life got in the way, and because the car was out of sight, it was out of mind. So it has sat for all this time with the gas in it, and I now need advice as to where to start, to get it up and running again. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Take the fuel line off the injector rail, Remove the positive lead on the coil and hook it up the positive on the battery. This will power the fuel pump so you can drain the tank. When it's empty put some good fuel in it and use the same process to get the good fuel up to the rail. Then hook everything back up. You may need to use some starting fluid or gas in the intake a few times before it will stay running. Any pics of your car? I have the same one but mine is a Carroll Shelby edition with t tops. Problem is i need weatherstripping for them and it's impossible to find.

Last edited by Moparite; 11-20-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:13 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I'd also change all the other fluids. I'd like to see some pics too. I love those cars.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:59 PM
rbdetails

Originally Posted by Moparite
Take the fuel line off the injector rail, Remove the positive lead on the coil and hook it up the positive on the battery. This will power the fuel pump so you can drain the tank. When it's empty put some good fuel in it and use the same process to get the good fuel up to the rail. Then hook everything back up. You may need to use some starting fluid or gas in the intake a few times before it will stay running. Any pics of your car? I have the same one but mine is a Carroll Shelby edition with t tops. Problem is i need weatherstripping for them and it's impossible to find.

Glad to see someone else has one! Mine is
It's been a while since I've been under the hood. Can you specifically describe the above process regarding the coil? I'm familiar with where the fuel line goes into the rail (remember the only recall?) But the coil, not so much. I really appreciate the help. I'm excited to get the car out and running again.

Mine is also a C/S. Red with black leather, but no T tops.

Thanks so much!

Old 11-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Mine is also a C/S. Red with black leather, but no T tops.
Same as mine! Also got the digital dash 5 speed with crab wheels and louvers on the back window. I looked a while to find this one. LOL The coil wire is the ignition coil. You need to identify the positive before you do anything. Disconnect both leads going to it and check them with meter with the ignition on. One of them should have power that's the positive one.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:30 PM
rbdetails

Ok, using this photo, can you give me an idea of where the coil is, and what it looks like, so I can try the procedure to get the gas out? <br/><br/>Thanks.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

You cut it off in the pic, It's to the left of the ac compressor. Standard old school coil. Be sure to check for positive with a meter (ignition on) with both wires off the coil. You can look at the wiring for it and find it that way. It's possible they got changed over the years and you dont want to feed 12+ into the pcm.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:05 AM
rbdetails

Yup, I did see that, so I know what you are talking about now. I did manage to siphon some of the gas out (with a hand pump) but will try to kick in the fuel pump with your process too. Stay tuned!

Again, thank you!

Old 11-28-2015, 03:02 PM
rbdetails

Looking at the above picture. There are two wires on the left side, the green one and a black one. And there is one yellow and black wire on the right side. Which one is the positive lead?

Last edited by rbdetails; 11-28-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: repeat
Old 11-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Like i said it's in the book(wiring diagram) i don't know off the top of my head.

Quick Reply: '86 Daytona Turbo Z Improperly stored