Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

How mnay daytona owners here?? ROLL CALL!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 10:15 PM
js87z
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How mnay daytona owners here?? ROLL CALL!!

. that was really easy. to get that all out and got alot of space and weight off the car. i found a used turbo off a 88 lebaron 2.5 lit. it has the same header flange but it looks a little bigger and the waste gate valve is bigger and probaly hold more psi then the stock one on my car. he has a hand full of turbocharge dodge cars. he wants $150 for the hole works and the o2 sensor is almost brand new in the swing arm for the exhaust. That turbo should work right?i would think if anything it will work better then the stock one.but i am happy cuz this means i can get it running sooner .thanx for all the help!

Old 06-02-2004, 08:22 AM
chrisflock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 93 2.5 daytona. Its only got about 139k on it. I think the O2 sensor is going out, because the car doesn't idle very well and doesn't respond to the gas pedal like it used to. In fact, it basically only works if I floor the pedal all the way, which often results in a loud squeal from the front of the car, the smell of rubber, and women and children diving diving away from the road...
Anyway, I recently used some RTV to seal up the valve cover gasket, and then learned that using this substance can kill the o2 sensor. I've been trying to locate the sensor, just how far back on the exhaust is it? If I replace it now, will the new one go out from the RTV again? I RTV'd almost a year ago, and the troubles started a little while after that. At first I thought it was a vacuum leak because when we took the upper intake off to do the valve cover, we broke a hose and replace it, and I initially though that we just hadn't gotten 'er sealed back up, but the hoses all look fine, I've got a new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs (properly gapped!) and a new fuel filter. I didn't think it was the O2 since that was replaced (by a repair shop, strangest thing!) right after I bought it.

Any help?

Chris

Old 06-03-2004, 08:40 PM
PrettyInBlack

I've had 3, currently own 2.

My first was a 1987 Pacifica, Turbo 5 speed. That one is gone, it caught fire. My second was a 1985, 5 speed. It had a turbo but it was blown. I still have it, but it won't pass inspection due to some massive rust. It's also a home for some critters now. My third is a 1989 CS, 2.5 Turbo automatic. I one day hope to own one with a Turbo 2 and a 5 speed.

Coincidentally, my parents both own Daytona's. Between all of us, we've owned 7. One was sold, and then there was mine that burnt. My 85 isn't going to be around much longer, either. Sadly, out of all of them, my Pacifica ran the best....and looked the nicest. It was the only one with fresh paint. The engine and transmission both had less than 20,000 on them. I had recently had them put in.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:11 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that sucks. I hope you can at least use the engine and transmission since they are so fresh.

Old 06-06-2004, 05:34 AM
PrettyInBlack

Sadly, the A555 transmission was destroyed from the fire. I tried to grab the heads off the engine, but they weren't any good. Cold water had been used to put out the engine fire. Going from that hot to that cold in seconds warps stuff pretty bad. Most everything from the engine that I tried to grab crumbled. It had been burning for about 45 minutes before the inept fire department came.

My friend put up the pictures on his website, if you want to see what happened.

http://www.geocities.com/kuronue13/swordfish/

If it counts for anything. I only paid $100 for my 89 CS. I'm working on it, but it's not technically running yet. It needs a head gasket. It runs almost fine ( better than my Dad's, but I'm trying to keep that a secret ) , but it leaks a lot of coolant. One of my neighbors hit it while it was parked, so it needs a new front end.

Old 06-06-2004, 06:03 AM
sperk1971

[&o]Well I have tried a new tank of 92 octane with injector cleaner and the problem is still there. I can ease up to six grand and about 13 psi of boost but i cant stand on it without it cutting out and bucking.Very frustrating because the power seems to be there but it wont let me use all of it. i can go about 1/4 of the pedal and fly like mad, but I want it all. Any more ideas to try? I cleaned it up today and installed a new dash mod that looks pretty cool, but I wish i knew what was causing my loss of power.

sadly

sperk1971

[IMG]local://upfiles/4088/Fd915972883.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-06-2004, 06:09 AM
sperk1971

[X(]Sorry to hear about the daytona that burned pib, Looks like the fire destroyed everything. I f all goes well I may have 2 extra front ends by the middle of next week; maybe one of them would be what you need. Have you ever got to drive a turbo 2 car yet? I ask this only because I have drove a couple Turbo 1's and you would be amazed at the difference in acceleration.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:03 AM
js87z
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd say that car was toatsed pretty baddly. i haven't driven a t1 but i got a t2 and i drove it a little before i ripped it apart and it moved pretty good for 2 cyclinders doing most of the work and a turbo that was all kinds of messed up. Well atleast til the car got warm and wouldn't iddle and barely ran. it should be running by the end of july.(i hope)

one quick question. does the intake to the turbo need to hook up to the cumputer on the fender . can i just run a pipe up to where the battery would normaly be and put a cone filter on that?

i ask cuz i got parts for ram air intake that would work just wanted to make sure it would be ok.

Old 06-07-2004, 05:04 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Have you checked for codes? It could also be one or more bad injectors, the PCM itself, kinked fuel line, weak pump, bad hall effect distributor, ignition coil or perhaps even spark blow out. If the spark is weak or the plugs even slightly fouled, the spark can be blown out by the forced induction. You can, and probably should anyway, get an MSD Blaster ignition coil. Give it a tune up, but with the good stuff. Get a set of Accel plug wires and new plugs and make sure that they are gapped properly to.

Old 06-07-2004, 05:46 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Damn, I guess. It looks like there's nothing left that's useable.

You can remove it without a problem, they were simply making it easier by incorperating the induction into the PCM housing. I removed the cheap plastic hose that connected the airbox to the PCM housing long ago. I will be removing the airbox totally and replacing all of it with smooth straight pipe and a cone filter.

Quick Reply: How mnay daytona owners here?? ROLL CALL!!