1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Cam positon sensor location on 4.7 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:22 PM
caoiii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam positon sensor location on 4.7 Durango

Would a bad/faulty cam position sensor keep this engine from starting?
Code came up on OBDII.
Engine cranks but does not fire.
Where on this engine is the cam position sensor located and just for informational purposes ...where is the crankshaft positon sensor located?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:42 PM
tradd
Default RE: Cam positon sensor location on 4.7 Durango

hey,
i had my crankshaft position senser die on me and it did keep the truck from starting. i dont know about the cam sensor but i would imagine it would. i had the same problem, the truck would crank but just wouldnt fire over. i have the 5.9 and the crankshaft sensor was under the distibutor cap, in a hole in the bellcrank. once you get thespark plug wiresout of the way it is actualy very easy to get to. if you have or get a haynes manual it shows you exactly where it is and how to get to it. hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 AM
caoiii

Thanks for taking time to reply.
I will get to the library asap and hope that they have the Haynes or Chilton manuals for this vehicle.
In the meantime,I would hope that someone knows exactly when the cam sensor is located.
I did the cycling the ignition key three times routine and retrived a P0340 code.
Does anybody know what this code refers to?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Caoiii

It would help if you gave us a little info about your Durango? What year is it?

Old 07-07-2008, 03:49 PM
caoiii

OOPS!!! Sorry...It's a 2000 4.7
Update: purchased a camshaft positon sensor and replaced old one. I was able to start the engine, but it ran like S_ _ t.
It would only run as long as I kept my foot on the accelerator
and the engine ran rough and was noisy.
A little futher information:
My sonwas driving the truck Saturday evening and apparently was unaware that the heater core started to leak.Coolant quickly leaked out and engine overheated and he .....kept driving.
When he called me to say he had broken down,I went with a few tools and 5 gallons of water.I expected to find a broken top or bottom radiator hose or heater hose.
When I figured out that the heater core was leaking,I filler the radiator with water and was going to try to limp it back home and deal with the heater core there. But the truck wouldn't start so it was towed.
So like I was saying,my first job was to get it started then determine if there was any more damage..which obviously now there is.
I checked the oil dip stick and it shows full and there doesn't appear to be any coolant present.He says the oil was just changed so it looked clean and not overfull.
From the description of the engine not running smooth or stalling out when accelerator is released my guess is blown head gasket...anybody else care to make an educated guess?
I would appreciate a yea or nay on my guess.

Quick Reply: Cam positon sensor location on 4.7 Durango